Officials have launched a criminal case into the suspected intent by a group of militants to murder two or more persons, in the wake of findings from an anti-terrorist operation in the city of Tyumen. Spokesperson for the Russian Investigative Committee in Tyumen Region, Lyudmila Galstyan, made the announcement in Tyumen on Saturday.

Two militant suspects were killed during the operation on Friday, according to Russia's National Anti-terrorism Committee.

The Federal Security Service (FSB) had earlier said the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS; formerly ISIS/ISIL)-linked militants were planning to carry out an attack in the local area.

According to Galstyan, officials found two improvised explosive devices and parts for making IEDs, as well as two Kalashnikov assault rifles and ‘religious literature’ at the home of the suspected militants.

“At this moment the investigators are carrying out the necessary complex of investigative actions aimed at establishing all the circumstances of the crime committed. Investigation of the criminal case continues," said the Investigative Committee’s spokesperson.

According to officials, the militants were holed up in a private home as Russian special forces stormed the apartment and killed the suspects in return fire.

No other casualties were reported during the operation.

Advertisement
Code: FD10BET. New players now get a 50% up to €100 First Deposit Bonus!

More videos