This year will see the fourth consecutive year of increased defence spending across the board said NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg in Brussels on Tuesday, a day ahead of the annual NATO summit.
“All allies have stopped the cuts, all allies are increasing spending. Last year saw the biggest increase in a generation,” Stoltenberg explained.
In response to a question on US President Donald Trump’s recent criticism aimed at some NATO partners for not spending enough on defence, Stoltenberg said Europe and Canada 'should not please the US. They are increasing defence spending, because it is in their own security interest to do so.'
The NATO chief also pointed out that the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia is expected to enter NATO 'under its new name 'the Republic of North Macedonia,' after the name change deal is finalised.