Central African Republic

Donors pledge 2 billion dollars for CAR recovery and peace-building

International donors pledged 2.28 billion dollars to the Central African Republic on Thursday, showing support for President Faustin Archange Touadera's plan to end both militant violence and a humanitarian crisis in his country.

1 in 5 children displaced in Central African Republic, says UNICEF

Nearly one in five children in the Central African Republic (CAR) remain displaced following sectarian violence that has killed thousands of people, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said Tuesday.

Muslim rebels kill nine civilians in Central African Republic

Members of the largely Muslim Seleka rebel group killed nine people in a village in Central African Republic, the head of the village said Monday.

Nine shot dead in Central African Republic during protests

Four people were shot dead in volatile Central African Republic on Monday, hospital sources said, as hundreds of demonstrators called for the withdrawal of a United Nations peacekeeping mission.

At least 11 killed during rebel attack on refugee camp in CAR

Members of the largely Muslim Seleka rebel group killed at least eleven people in a refugee camp in the volatile Central African Republic, the United Nations peacekeeping mission in CAR (Minusca) said Saturday.

Deadly clashes between UN soldiers and Muslim rebels in CAR

At least seven people were killed and 29 others injured when UN peacekeepers clashed with members of the largely Muslim Seleka rebel group in Central African Republic, a local broadcaster reported Wednesday, although witnesses put the death toll at over 20.

Dozens dead in fighting between militias in Central African Republic

Dozens of people have been killed in two days of fighting between rival militias in the Central African Republic, witnesses said Sunday. Mainly Christian anti-Balaka militiamen tried to expel mainly Muslim Seleka militiamen from Kaga-Bandoro, about 700 kilometres north of the capital, Bangui, resident Maxime Gourna said.

Four more allegations of sexual abuse made against UN troops in CAR

Four new allegations of sexual abuse involving minors have been made against UN peacekeepers from the Democratic Republic of the Congo serving in the Central African Republic, a UN spokesman said Tuesday.

EU-led troops in Central African Republic implicated in child abuse

Soldiers from an EU-led stabilization force in the Central African Republic are alleged to have sexually abused girls, UN officials said Friday, the latest in a string of similar cases in the country.

UN withdraws Congolese troops from CAR after sex abuse allegations

Three of the peacekeepers in the Congolese contingent of the 11,000-strong UN peacekeeping force had been accused in August of sexually abusing three young women in the town of Bambari, north-east of the capital, Bangui.