Yemen saudi arabia.jpg
Photograph: EPA/STRINGER

Most frontlines in the Yemeni civil war were reported to be calm after a ceasefire between mainly Shiite rebels and a Saudi-led coalition backing their local rivals came into effect at midnight (2100 GMT).

Local residents reported shelling by the Houthi rebels on residential areas in the flashpoint central city of Taiz early Monday, while coalition air raids were reported there and in the neighbouring southern province of Lahj.

Both the mainly Shiite Houthis and a Saudi-led military coalition backing their local rivals reaffirmed their commitment to implementing the UN-brokered ceasefire shortly before it came into force.

The truce comes ahead of UN-brokered peace talks due to start April 18 in Kuwait, where the rebels, who control the capital Sana'a, will discuss peace terms with the government of internationally recognized President Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi.

Aid agencies have said the ceasefire is a critical moment for the already poverty-stricken country, which is now seeing thousands of civilians flee fighting every day.

In Taiz, residents and local journalists said the rebels had shelled several residential areas and a military base after midnight.

Hadi loyalists in the city said they had observed 12 rebel breaches of the ceasefire. Houthi spokesmen could not immediately be reached for comment on the claims.

In the neighbouring province of Lahj, residents said coalition warplanes had struck Houthi artillery positions after the rebels fired on loyalist positions shortly after midnight.

The rebels' Al Masirah television said the coalition had also bombed an area in Taiz. Residents said an air raid hit an anti-aircraft battery.

The 24 hours before the ceasefire came into effect had seen coalition jets bombing locations in Sana'a as well as heavy fighting on the ground in the Taiz region.

A coalition of international aid groups earlier said that the ceasefire would be "a moment of truth" for the nation.

The conflict has led to warnings of disastrous humanitarian consequences, including food shortages, in what was already one of the poorest countries in the Arab world.

The Saudi-led air campaign, ongoing since March last year, has been condemned by human rights groups for its impact on civilians, with the UN also saying that it has caused most of the conflict's civilian casualties.

"A real ceasefire could be the first step towards ending this staggering yet forgotten crisis," said Jan Egeland, head of the Norwegian Refugee Council, one of the groups issuing the statement.

"This last year of escalated violence has meant that each day, around 6,610 people were forced to flee their homes and around 25 civilians are killed or injured," the watchdogs said in Sunday's joint statement.

Previous ceasefires in Yemen have not held, but a partial truce covering the border with Saudi Arabia, announced last month, has been largely effective.

However, a surprise reshuffle by Hadi last Sunday has raised fears that the government side - which has very limited control over the forces fighting the Houthis on the ground - is not in a mood for concessions.

Hadi replaced his conciliatory vice president Khaled Bahah with hardline former military commander Ali Muhsin al-Ahmar, who led several campaigns against the Houthis since their initial uprising in 2004.

"At face value, this would seem to be a signal that the government is moving away from a political settlement, and preparing to escalate the conflict," analyst Adam Baron of the European Council on Foreign Relation told dpa. 

The Saudis, fearing that the rebels would give their regional rival Iran a foothold in the Arabian Peninsula, launched their air campaign last March when the Houthis moved on Hadi's heartland in southern Yemen.

A loose alliance of Hadi loyalists, Sunni Islamists, jihadists and southern Yemeni separatists, backed by Gulf troops and air power, has since pushed the rebels back out of the south.

But they remain entrenched in the north, while inconclusive fighting has continued in central Yemen.

The Yemeni branch of al-Qaeda has been one of the war's main beneficiaries, fighting alongside anti-Houthi forces in some areas while also seizing territory for itself behind their lines.

A fledgling branch of the Islamic State extremist group has also made a grisly debut, mainly in the form of deadly attacks on mosques in the Houthi-held capital.

Related stories

Yemen's exiled president rejects UN peace plan

Saudi-led airstrikes kill 15 civilians in Yemeni city

Saudi-led coalition ends Yemen truce

Yemen ceasefire breached shortly after it goes into effect

Latest news

Alphabet's self-driving car company sues Uber over alleged theft

Alphabet's self-driving car company Waymo said Thursday it was suing Uber and its subsidiary Otto for allegedly stealing its technology and infringing its patents.

US, Mexico take "important steps" even as Trump voices indifference

Top US and Mexican diplomatic and security officials met on Thursday in Mexico City, as President Donald Trump in Washington expressed ambivalence about relations with the United States' southern neighbour.

US Supreme Court's Ginsberg emphasizes value of free press

US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg expressed optimism about the political future of the United States despite the polarized and combative political atmosphere that has marked the fledgling presidency of Donald Trump.

Top Trump aide Bannon points to promises kept, media fight

Top White House strategist Steve Bannon said Thursday US President Donald Trump is keeping the promises he made during his campaign on issues from immigration to job creation.

Le Pen promises independent foreign policy, autonomous defence

Marine Le Pen promised Thursday that if elected president of France she would ensure it had a truly independent foreign policy as well as an autonomous capacity for self-defence.

Slovenia for ending lawsuits against Ljubljanska Banka

Croatia is infringing the memorandum of understanding signed with Slovenia in 2013 which they interpret differently, the Slovenian Embassy said on Thursday after a hearing at a Zagreb court in a suit which Croatia's PBZ bank filed against Slovenia's Ljubljanska Banka (LB) and Nova Ljubljanska Bank (NLB) over transferred foreign currency savings.

Marin Pucar appointed as new CEO in Podravka food concern

Marin Pucar is the new Management Board chairman of the Podravka food concern and will take the helm of the company after Zvonimir Mrsic's term expires at midnight on Thursday.

Croatian MEP says Moscow wants to influence in western Balkans

Croatian MEP Ivan Jakovcic said in an interview with the Montenegrin Pobjeda daily on Thursday that Moscow is trying to exploit the political forces in Montenegro and that Russia's meddling in Montenegro's internal affairs was "unacceptable behaviour."

New York Times launches brand campaign for 'The Truth' with Oscars ad

The New York Times is using Sunday's Academy Awards show to launch an advertising drive with an ad spot that capitalizes on President Donald Trump's confrontational relationship with the paper and other mainstream media.

Gambia charges former spy chief with murder of opposition leader

The former head of the Gambian national intelligence agency has been charged with the murder of an opposition youth leader who died in detention last year.

Dutch populist Wilders won't publicly campaign after security fiasco

The Dutch Party for Freedom (PVV) won't make public appearances in support of its election campaign after a security official assigned to protect party founder Geert Wilders was detained by police.

Peace Implementation Council Steering Board calls for defusing tensions in Bosnia

The Steering Board of the Peace Implementation Council in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) met on Thursday, expressing the international community's concern about the situation in the country and calling on local politicians to act rationally to prevent an escalation of the crisis after a motion was submitted to review an International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruling in BiH's case against Serbia for genocide.