The United States and several countries contributing UN troops clashed Thursday on the role of the UN Security Council in handling accusations of sexual abuse against UN peacekeepers, with the US pushing for strong action when claims are substantiated.

The council discussed the issue after UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon released a report last week publicly disclosing for the first time the nationalities of UN military and police personnel involved in sexual abuse allegations.

According to the report, a total of 69 allegations of sexual abuse and exploitation were made against civilian staff and military and police personnel from 21 countries deployed on UN peacekeeping missions in 2015.

The allegations came from 10 UN peacekeeping missions, with 22 cases reported in the Central African Republic alone.

Under UN guidelines, contributing countries are responsible for investigating and prosecuting allegations made against uniformed personnel, which, in the absence of a requirement to report on the outcomes, often allowed such crimes to go unpunished.

In response to the report, the US drafted a Security Council resolution that would require the repatriation of whole contingents if a pattern of sexual abuse is found, UN diplomats said.

Samantha Power, US ambassador to the UN, urged countries on the 15-member council to consider sexual abuse by peacekeepers as a threat to international peace and security, which the council is tasked with upholding.

"Some have argued that this discussion does not have a place at the UN Security Council," Power said. "They are mistaken."

Power noted that when governments, armed groups and terrorists attack civilians, it is the council's responsibility to raise concerns.

"So why in the world when they are UN peacekeepers that attack people, it isn't our job?" Power said.

Russia said, however, that the issue should be taken up by the UN General Assembly, which includes all 193 member states of the UN, including troop-contributing countries.

"It would simply be wrong to set the council up against the General Assembly," said Peter Iliichev, Russian deputy ambassador to the UN.

"We continue to be convinced that issues of peacekeeping discipline are not related to the maintenance of international peace and security," Iliichev added.

Several troop-contributing countries, including Egypt and Pakistan, also spoke out against the draft resolution, saying that they should be consulted before measures are imposed.

Amr Aboulatta, Egyptian ambassador to the UN whose country currently has more than 2,800 troops deployed at UN missions, said the General Assembly had the mandate to review the issue of sexual abuse. He also opposed the proposal that entire contingents should be sent home because of a few individuals committing crimes.

"Accountability must be confined to those committing the crime and not the others," Aboulatta said.

Troop-contributing countries receive more than 1,300 dollars per month for every uniformed personnel sent to UN missions.

Secretary General Ban told the council that continued allegations of sexual abuse against UN peacekeepers destroy the trust between blue helmets and those they are intended to serve.

"When sexual exploitation and abuse are perpetrated on these individuals by the United Nations personnel authorised to protect them, it further victimizes and violates them and inflicts untold harm on already fragile communities," Ban said.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.