UN flag, united nations.jpg
Photograph: Photo by sanjitbakshi, used under CC BY

The Syrian government has agreed to allow aid convoys into 19 besieged areas this month, UN Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura announced Thursday, calling on the regime to follow through on its promise.

"Of course the proof is in concrete facts, that is, in delivery," de Mistura told reporters in Geneva.

Syrian authorities should not stop convoys at the last moment, should not remove medical supplies from trucks and should not backpedal on the amount of aid that they have authorized, the UN diplomat said, referring to past incidents.

The government approval came as a result of last month's announcement by global and Middle Eastern powers that they would push for air lifts into besieged cities if there were no progress on aid shipments on the ground, de Mistura said.

"The issue of air lifts, air bridges or air drops must remain an option" in case the trucks do not come through, he added.

UN-brokered Syrian peace talks in Geneva have been stalled since May, when opposition delegates suspended their participation to protest lacking aid deliveries and an increase in violence.

"Time is not yet mature for an official third round of intra-Syrian talks," de Mistura said.

However, UN experts was planning to start technical-level talks soon on the future of the Syrian military and civilian institutions after a political transition, he added. These talks would likely be held with the government in Damascus and with the opposition in Riyadh.

While the aid truck approval was a positive development, he said, heavy shelling of the rebel-held Damascus suburb Daraya, and attacks on children's hospitals were "bad news."

Meanwhile, Syrian militia forces were advancing to take control over a main road to Minbij, a key city in the last Islamic State-controlled pocket along the Turkish border, amid heavy fighting and air cover by the US-led coalition.

The Democratic Forces of Syria (DSF), a group dominated by the Kurds but with large Arab contingents, is now laying siege to the city that lies just 20 kilometres from the frontier.

The Minbij Military Council, the largely Arab force leading the attack, said it was holding off on storming the city in order to avoid civilian casualties. There were indications the battle for the city could begin within days.

Turkey, which is wary of the Kurdish forces, has given hesitant backing to the operation against Islamic State but insists the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) cannot remain in the area once the extremist group is ousted.

The mission aims to halt the flow of Islamic State militants across the Turkey-Syria border, kick them off the frontier and take over their supply routes to al-Raqqa, the group's de-facto capital.

A separate DSF operation was launched last month to take northern al-Raqqa. The Syrian government is moving on the city from the west.

Defence ministers from Russia, Syria and Iran are set to meet in Tehran to discuss strengthening collaboration against Islamic State and al-Qaeda's Syrian wing known as al-Nusra Front.

Latest news

EU anti-fraud office eyeing claims against Merkel challenger Schulz

Martin Schulz, the main contender against German Chancellor Angela Merkel in upcoming elections, could face a probe for advocating questionable bonuses and promotions while European Parliament president, the EU's anti-fraud office said Thursday.

EFA calls on Croatian state leadership to protect Croatian cinema

The European Film Academy, along with the 600 Croatian professionals who signed the manifesto of "We’ve Had Enough", expressed its belief in the importance of the independence of Croatian film, and in preserving the autonomy of the existing Croatian audio visual model and the continuity of current practices.

PSA chief: We want to keep Opel German

The head of French carmaker PSA Group, which last week revealed that it was in talks to buy Opel from General Motors, said that Opel should remain German if the deal goes through.

Bayern round the clock - German champions launch own TV channel

Bayern Munich fans will be able to follow goings on at the Bundesliga record champions in a new way from next week when the club launches its own television channel.

'Weather bomb' hits transport, cuts power to 56,000 homes in Ireland

Storm Doris brought winds of up to 120 kilometres per hour to large areas of Ireland and Britain on Thursday, disrupting transport links and causing power cuts to tens of thousands of homes.

Croatia's registered unemployment rate rises to 15.4% in January

The registered unemployment rate in Croatia rose from 14.8% in December 2016 to 15.4% in January 2017, increasing for the fourth month in a row, the National Bureau of Statistics (DZS) said Thursday.

Norway's telecom group Telenor to leave Indian market

Norwegian telecommunications group Telenor said Thursday it was leaving the Indian telecom market and transferring its businesses there to Bharti Airtel.

Iraq claims advance in retaking Mosul airport from Islamic State

Iraqi forces wrested back half of Mosul's airport from Islamic State Thursday, shortly after entering the facility during their ongoing campaign to drive the extremist militia from its last key stronghold in the country.

Rights group: Video shows Cambodian police beating election candidate

A video posted on YouTube shows eight Cambodian paramilitary police beating a man identified as an opposition candidate at a Phnom Penh shopping mall, a rights group said Thursday. 

Malaysia asks Interpol to issue alert for suspects in N Korean death

Malaysia on Thursday requested that Interpol issue an alert for four North Koreans suspected of involvement in last week's killing of Kim Jong Nam, the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

British suspect arrested in Deutsche Telekom hacking

A 29-year-old British citizen suspected of involvement in a cyberattack that left nearly 1 million Deutsche Telekom customers without services last year has been arrested, German federal police said on Thursday.

Eight killed as bomb targets restaurant in Pakistan’s Lahore

A bomb ripped through a high-end restaurant in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Thursday, killing eight people, officials said, marking another attack amid a surge in violence by Islamist militants that has ended months of fragile calm.