default_eblnews.jpg

The United Nations suspended all humanitarian convoys in Syria Tuesday after 21 people died in what UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called a "sickening, savage and apparently deliberate attack" on vehicles delivering aid.

The US charged that either a Russian or a Syrian airstrike hit the aid convoy late Monday in Aleppo province, and placed most of the blame on Moscow, the main backer of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Both Moscow and Damascus denied they were behind the strike. Russian Defence Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said there was no sign of any bombing, based on drone footage and films from activists.

Konashenkov said late Tuesday that the convoy that was attacked had been followed by a "terrorists'" (rebel) pickup truck carrying a large mortar.

"Analysis of video records from drones of yesterday’s movement of the humanitarian convoy across Aleppo’s territories controlled by militants has revealed new details," Konashenkov was quoted as saying by state-run news agency TASS.

“It is clearly seen in the video that a terrorists’ pickup truck with a towed large-caliber mortar is moving along with the convoy,” he said.

Konashenkov went on to say the most important question was where the mortar ended up and "where it was targeting fire at when the convoy was being unloaded."

The UN, Red Cross and Syrian Red Crescent - which jointly organized the aid convoy in coordination with the Syrian government - confirmed there had been an attack.

Earlier, the UN said the incident in northern Aleppo province could constitute a war crime.

"The humanitarians delivering life-saving aid were heroes ... Those who bombed them were cowards," Ban told the UN General Assembly on Tuesday in New York.

A joint statement by Red Cross-linked aid groups said 20 civilians and one Red Crescent staff member were killed and most of the aid in the convoy was destroyed.

"From what we know of yesterday's attack, there has been a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law, which is totally unacceptable," said Peter Maurer, head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).

The UN will need to reassess the security situation in the wake of the attack, spokesman Jens Laerke said in Geneva, explaining the decision to halt aid deliveries.

The convoy bombing came just hours after the Syrian Army declared an end to a week-long truce, brokered by the United States and Russia.

The 18 trucks that were hit were part of a 31-vehicle convoy that was unloading food and medical supplies for tens of thousands of people at a warehouse of the Syrian Red Crescent (SARC), trying to take advantage of the truce.

The UN said the parties to the conflict were informed about the delivery and knew the route.

"The destination of this convoy was known to the Syrian regime and the Russian Federation, and yet these aid workers were killed in their attempt to provide relief to the Syrian people," US State Department spokesman John Kirby said.

David Swanson, a spokesman for the UN in southern Turkey, said that after the attack and the collapse of the ceasefire, millions of people in need would not receive aid.

Airstrikes have been pounding Aleppo and other areas of Syria since the ceasefire was ended Monday. Fresh fighting took place between ground forces in the north of the country, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Meeting on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, foreign ministers of the International Syria Support Group (ISSG) were still pushing for a truce.

They agreed that despite continued violence it was "imperative to pursue a nationwide cessation of hostilities" based on the agreement reached between the United States and Russia, Kirby said.

The group, which is seeking a political solution to the conflict, said it was essential to immediately establish "unimpeded, safe and sustained flow of access for humanitarian supplies." The group of envoys from more than 20 countries plan to meet again Friday.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Russia did not expect to reinstate the ceasefire, according to TASS.

US officials appeared to be holding out hope that they could negotiate a new truce deal with the Russians. The week-long truce did manage to reduce the violence in the country and allowed some aid to reach tens of thousands of people in need.

At the UN, US President Barack Obama stressed the need for a diplomatic solution in Syria that includes the delivery of humanitarian aid and a political transition.

In Syria, two Turkish soldiers were killed Tuesday in an explosion north of Aleppo, where troops are battling alongside Syrian rebels against the Islamic State extremist group, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. 

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.