united nations.jpg
Photograph: EPA/LAURENT GILLIERON

UN Syria mediator Staffan de Mistura said he had put the Geneva peace talks on hold until February 25, pointing to the level of violence happening on the ground.

Before the talks were halted, government forces dealt a major blow to rebels earlier Wednesday, cutting off vital supply lines to and from Aleppo, the last major urban centre in rebel hands.

De Mistura said military action had created an obstacle for the negotiations, which formally opened two days ago.

The indirect talks between the Syrian regime and opposition were often delayed by the parties' bickering and no observable progress had been made.

Syrians needed to see an improvement in humanitarian conditions in tandem with political talks, de Mistura said.

"Since I didn't see that ... I have to be honest with myself and say it's time for a pause, only a pause," he said.

In Syria, state news agency SANA said troops and allied militiamen "completely cut the supply routes of the terrorist organizations" north of Aleppo and lifted the siege on two Shiite villages that had been surrounded by rebels for over three years.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition monitoring group, confirmed that the route between Aleppo and the Turkish border had been blocked after advances by government forces backed by intense Russian airstrikes.

The development is a significant victory for government forces, who have been trying for over two years to encircle Aleppo. Other rebel-held routes to the northern city remain open.

Opposition delegates to the Geneva talks have appealed for countries backing the rebels to exert pressure on Russia to stop its airstrikes.

But Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov made it clear earlier that Moscow had no immediate intention of pulling back on its military support for the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.

Speaking to reporters in Muscat, Oman, Lavrov singled out access to the Turkish border as a key issue.

"The key point for the ceasefire to work is a task of blocking illegal trafficking across the Turkish-Syrian border, which supports the militants," he said in comments reported by Russian state news agency TASS.

Lavrov said the aim of Russian operations was "to defeat the Islamic State and Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist groups."

Al-Nusra, the Syrian branch of al-Qaeda, is a key component of the main rebel alliances on the ground in northern Syria. Days ago it sent a large column of fighters to reinforce rebels in Aleppo.

The Geneva talks, officially backed by Russia, the US and other countries variously allied with al-Assad's government and the rebels, are aimed at finding a political solution to the five-year conflict that has devastated Syria and driven half its population from their homes.

The opposition insists on humanitarian measures and an end to Russian and Syrian airstrikes as a first step toward a resolution to the conflict, while the government says the focus must be on combatting terrorism.

In New York, a UN spokesman confirmed that three aid workers of a non-governmental organization have been killed in an airstrike in rural Aleppo in northern Syria.

Latest news

Norway's telecom group Telenor to leave Indian market

Norwegian telecommunications group Telenor said Thursday it was leaving the Indian telecom market and transferring its businesses there to Bharti Airtel.

Iraq claims advance in retaking Mosul airport from Islamic State

Iraqi forces wrested back half of Mosul's airport from Islamic State Thursday, shortly after entering the facility during their ongoing campaign to drive the extremist militia from its last key stronghold in the country.

Rights group: Video shows Cambodian police beating election candidate

A video posted on YouTube shows eight Cambodian paramilitary police beating a man identified as an opposition candidate at a Phnom Penh shopping mall, a rights group said Thursday. 

Malaysia asks Interpol to issue alert for suspects in N Korean death

Malaysia on Thursday requested that Interpol issue an alert for four North Koreans suspected of involvement in last week's killing of Kim Jong Nam, the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

British suspect arrested in Deutsche Telekom hacking

A 29-year-old British citizen suspected of involvement in a cyberattack that left nearly 1 million Deutsche Telekom customers without services last year has been arrested, German federal police said on Thursday.

Eight killed as bomb targets restaurant in Pakistan’s Lahore

A bomb ripped through a high-end restaurant in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Thursday, killing eight people, officials said, marking another attack amid a surge in violence by Islamist militants that has ended months of fragile calm.

Philippine court orders arrest of top Duterte critic

Senator Leila De Lima, one of the most outspoken critics of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, was on Thursday ordered arrested on illegal drug charges by a Philippine court.

Hrvatski Telekom reports 2016 net profit of HRK 934 mn

Hrvatski Telekom (HT) generated a net profit of HRK 934 million in 2016, which is 1% more than in 2015, the telecommunications company said on Thursday in a report on its financial results in 2016.

FDI in Croatia totals EUR 1.2 bn in Jan-Sept 2016

Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Croatia totalled EUR 1.227 billion in the first nine months of 2016, which is 552 million or 82% more than in the same period in 2015, analysts at Raiffeisenbank Austria (RBA) said in a report on Thursday, citing data provided by the Croatian National Bank.

Vietnam asks YouTube to block politically sensitive videos

Vietnamese authorities have demanded that YouTube block 17 videos that thez say violate the country's laws restricting speech, state media reported Thursday.

Croatian-Czech Society marks 25th anniversary

The Croatian-Czech Society (HCD) celebrated a quarter century since its foundation in Zagreb on Wednesday evening and the occasion was marked by the launch of a book, "The Croatian-Czech Society: The First 25 Years".

Trump administration reverses transgender bathroom protections

The Trump administration on Wednesday withdrew Obama-era guidance about the use of school and university bathrooms by transgender students, local media reported.