UN: No halt to Israeli settlements despite Quartet recommendations

Israeli settlement activity in the West Bank has continued over the last two months despite recommendations by world powers to the contrary in an effort to revive negotiations over a two-state solution in the Middle East, a top UN official said Monday.

Nickolay Mladenov, UN special coordinator for the Middle East peace process, said that steps outlined in a June report by the so-called Middle East Quartet - the United Nations, the European Union, the United States and Russia - have not been heeded by either side.

"[The report's] recommendations continue, however, to be ignored, including by a surge in Israeli settlement-related announcements and continuing demolitions," Mladenov said.

Since July 1, Israel has advanced plans for more than 1,700 housing units in the West Bank and has published tenders for the construction of more than 300 new units in East Jerusalem, he said.

Mladenov noted that Palestinian authorities had been unable to take control of the Gaza Strip, which the Quartet report had identified as a key to returning to negotiations.

"Both sides should work to reverse the negative trajectory, to build trust and to restore hope that a negotiated two-state solution is not just a political slogan but a reality that can be achieved through negotiations within our lifetime," he said.

Last update: Tue, 30/08/2016 - 00:00
Author: 

More from World

Mexico draws 'red lines' for negotiations with the US

US President Donald Trump's call for a border wall and any significant watering down of the North America Free Trade...

Jihadist fighters assault rival rebels' bases in northern Syria

A powerful Syrian armed group linked to al-Qaeda launched a series of assaults Tuesday on bases of a rival rebel...

Trump meets with US carmakers to push for jobs

US President Donald Trump met with US carmakers Tuesday, part of his effort to pressure the manufacturers to build...

Israel approves 2,500 new homes in the West Bank

Israel on Tuesday approved the construction of 2,500 housing units in the West Bank, in one of the biggest such...

Stoltenberg is "absolutely certain" Trump will be committed to NATO

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg is "absolutely certain" that US President Donald Trump will be "fully...