Two detainees from the US prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba were transferred to European countries Thursday as US President Barack Obama works toward his goal of closing the facility.
Abd al-Aziz Abduh Abdallah Ali Al-Suwaydi, a Yemeni national, was transferred to Montenegro, and Tariq Mahmoud Ahmed Al Sawah, an Egyptian, was sent to Bosnia, the Pentagon said.
The men's transfer bring the number of detainees to 91 after Obama said last month that he hoped to reduce the number of Guantanamo detainees to fewer than 100 by early this year as part of his goal to shutter the facility.
The two sent to Montenegro and Bosnia brought to more than 12 the number of prisoners released from Guantanamo this month.
In his State of the Union address last week, he reiterated his argument for closing the prison, which he says wastes money and inflames anti-US sentiments. His efforts to close the prison early in his administration were thwarted by Congress.
Obama is to present soon a long-awaited plan to Congress outlining his plans to close the facility that has housed terrorist suspects since shortly after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He announced plans to close the facility upon taking office in 2009, but has been stymied by Congress, which has blocked efforts to bring any detainees to the United States.
The effort also has been slowed as the US seeks other countries to host the detainees because it cannot send them to their home countries due to security concerns.