Turkish PM: report that wedding bomber was a child is "rumour"

The prime minister of Turkey has cast doubt on reports that the bomber who killed more than 50 people at a wedding in Gaziantep over the weekend was a child.

Binali Yildirim is quoted by the state-run news agency Anadolu as saying it is a "rumour" that the attack was carried out by a child.

The statement contradicts President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who said Sunday early indications were that the attacker was between 12 and 14 years old. In addition Erdogan said evidence pointed to Islamic State as the perpetrator.

It is still not clear who was behind the bombing. Yildirim says there is "no doubt" authorities will bring to light the whoever it was.

Last update: Mon, 22/08/2016 - 21:42
Author: 

More from World

Multi-storey shopping centre in Tehran collapses after fire

A 17-storey shopping centre in the Iranian capital Tehran collapsed on Thursday after a major fire, state television...

Two remanded in custody over assassination of Russia envoy in Turkey

Two people have been remanded in custody over the assassination last month of the Russian ambassador to Ankara,...

Source: Gambia army and police chiefs no longer loyal to Jammeh

Gambia’s army chief of staff and police inspector general are no longer loyal to longtime ruler Yahya Jammeh, who is...

South Korean media: North Korea ICBM launch could be imminent

North Korea may be planning to launch two intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) soon, South Korean media...

Obama: "I think we're going to be OK"

US President Barack Obama reflected Wednesday on eight years in office and expressed optimism for the future of the...