Turkish court rejects petition on evacuating injured Kurds

Turkey's Constitutional Court on Friday rejected a petition for ambulances to be allowed to evacuate about 20 people trapped for nearly a week in a basement in the embattled south-eastern town of Cizre.

The court said the information it required was not available, including whether the injured have weapons.

It noted in a statement that judges did not have the exact number of injured or how they got hurt, and the address was also not specific.

Fighting between state security forces and Kurdish militants has been ongoing in Cizre for more than six weeks. The town is among several areas in the mostly Kurdish south-east under a tight 24-hour curfew, which has been sharply criticized by rights groups.

More than 20 people were trapped in the basement on Saturday. Six have since died of their wounds, Kurdish officials said, and the corpses are in the same small space as the injured who reportedly lack water and other basic provisions.

Efforts to bring in ambulances have so far failed - Kurdish civilian officials blame security forces, while the Turkish government blames fighting in the area.

Turkish channel IMC broadcast images Friday of an ambulance attempting once again to enter the street, only to get blocked by military vehicles.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told reporters that the claims about the denial of medical service were "all lies" and suggested the Kurdish militants were trying to gain a military advantage.

"Maybe they are not even injured," state run Anadolu news agency quoted Erdogan as saying.

A two-year ceasefire between the state and Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) broke down in July after peace talks stagnated. The war has claimed more than 40,000 lives since the 1980s.

Kurds in Turkey have long complained of systemic discrimination while the government says the PKK is a terrorist group.

In the past six months, at least 245 security forces have been killed while the PKK has confirmed 257 fighters died, according to data from the International Crisis Group.

Kurdish officials say about 200 civilians have also been killed.

Last update: Fri, 29/01/2016 - 17:10
Author: 

More from World

Bees, not snakes or spiders, cause most deaths in Australia

Bees and other insects are the biggest public health threat in Australia when it comes to deadly bites and stings,...

Russia invites incoming US administration to Syria peace talks

The incoming US administration led by Donald Trump is invited to take part in Syria peace talks in Kazakhstan's...

Istanbul suspect admits to New Year's attack, found with cash

The captured suspect in the Istanbul New Year's nightclub shooting which left 39 people dead has admitted to...

Search for missing MH370 plane ends after three years

After nearly three years of searching, the hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has come to an end ...

Trudeau faces ethics probe over vacation on Aga Khan's private island

Canada's ethics watchdog is investigating whether Prime Minister Justin Trudeau violated his own conflict of...