hakan sukur.jpg
Hakan Sukur [R] playing in the eleventh Match Against Poverty in March 2014.
Photograph: By Ludovic Péron (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Turkey has issued a detention warrant for former international football striker Hakan Sukur, the state-run news agency Anadolu reported Friday, amid a crackdown in the wake of last month's coup attempt.

A Turkish prosecutor has also won a court order to seize Sukur's assets in the country, estimated to be worth 200 million lira (67.6 million dollars), the Dogan news agency reports.

The valuation includes the assets of his father, Selmet Sukur, who was being held in police custody.

Detention orders were issued for both father and son, who are accused by the government of having links to the alleged plotters of the failed coup attempt last month.

Police carried out searches at both their houses. Hakan Sukur is believed to be residing in the United States.

The former footballer has ties to US-based, Turkish-born preacher Fethullah Gulen. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accuses the cleric, a one-time ally, of plotting the coup - charges Gulen denies.

Sukur, 44, was once a member of parliament from Erdogan's ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) but resigned in protest in 2013 after a widespread corruption probe into top government officials. Erdogan blamed the probe on prosecutors linked to Gulen.

Turkey has detained 35,022 people, of whom 17,740 have been formally arrested under court orders, since the Jult 15 failed putsch.

Sukur is the Turkish national team's all-time top scorer and was a member of the team which finished third at the 2002 World Cup in South Korea and Japan. He retired from football following the 2007-2008 season after playing among others for Galatasaray, Inter Milan and Blackburn Rovers.

Latest news

Trump-style rhetoric is making world more dangerous, Amnesty says

Divisive and "poisonous" language used by politicians such as US President Donald Trump is putting vulnerable populations at risk and making the whole world a more dangerous place, Amnesty International charged on Wednesday.

Canada soon to begin resettling Iraqi refugees, most of them Yezidis

Canada will resettle 1,200 survivors of the Islamic State campaign to target religious minorities in northern Iraq, Canadian officials announced Tuesday. 

Breitbart editor resigns after release of paedophilia comments

Milo Yiannopoulos, a controversial editor at the far-right Breitbart news website, resigned Tuesday after the emergence of recordings in which he appears to defend sexual relationships between young boys and older men.

Trump administration opens door for mass deportations

The US Department of Homeland Security laid the groundwork Tuesday for mass deportations of immigrants living illegally in the United States under an executive order by President Donald Trump last month.

Brexit bill: House of Lords says public can change mind on leaving EU

The British public should be able to change their minds on Brexit - just as Prime Minister Theresa May did, the upper chamber of parliament heard Tuesday during a marathon debate on legislation to kick off EU negotiations.

Italian lawmakers, rights activists clash over gay sex club scandal

Gay rights activists and conservative politicians clashed Tuesday after the chief of Italy's anti-discrimination office quit over allegations that money had been authorized for gay sex clubs.

EU countries agree new rules to avoid tax evasion

European Union finance ministers in Brussels on Tuesday reached a political agreement on new rules to ensure that multinational corporations do not declare profits in the countries where they pay the least tax but in the countries where they generate it.

Trump condemns "horrible, painful" anti-Jewish incidents

US President Donald Trump condemned a recent spate of threats against Jewish community targets across the United States, during a visit Tuesday to the newly opened National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington.

FinMin expects Croatia to exit Excessive Deficit Procedure this spring

Finance Minister Zdravko Maric said on Tuesday Croatia could exit the Excessive Deficit Procedure this spring and that it was showing progress in correcting macroeconomic imbalances.

Austria seeks to create jobs, but new EU immigrants need not apply

Austria plans to create 160,000 jobs in the next three years by subsidizing companies, but the project has raised concerns because it effectively excludes people who recently immigrated from other EU countries.

Juncker: Not good for W. Balkans that some in Washington want to water down EU

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said on Tuesday it was not good for Western Balkan countries that some people in the new US administration gave the impression of being against the European Union because those countries needed the prospects of EU membership.

Citizens invited to help create Croatian version of Monopoly

A project to create a Croatian edition of Monopoly, in which citizens can participate by submitting proposals and which could become a souvenir for tourists, was presented at a press conference on Tuesday.

German state approves full-face veil ban

Legislation that bans face veils in select public spaces and situations was agreed by the government of the southeastern German state of Bavaria on Tuesday.

Indian restaurant Gaggan in Bangkok named Asia's best for third year

Bangkok's Indian eatery Gaggan on Tuesday was named the best restaurant in Asia for the third consecutive year by Asia's 50 Best Restaurants.

HGK: 16 Croatian companies to exhibit at IDEX defence exhibition

Sixteen Croatian companies will exhibit their products at the 13th IDEX 2017 defence exhibition in Abu Dhabi, to be held on February 19-23.