With national security a focus of Monday's US presidential debate, Donald Trump may once again have to defend his plan to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the country, which he says will prevent terrorist attacks.
The scope of the ban has shifted since the Republican candidate first proposed it last year, although Trump has never explicitly acknowledged changing it. Here's a timeline:
December 7, 2015: Trump calls for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States" until the nation's politicians "can figure out what is going on."
May 11: Asked to respond to criticism from London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who called the ban "ignorant," Trump tells Fox News Radio that it's "just a suggestion."
June 13: Trump says his administration would suspend immigration "from areas of the world when there is a proven history of terrorism" without specifically mentioning Muslims.
June 25: On a visit to one of the golf courses he owns in Scotland, Trump says the US entry restrictions would only apply to "terrorist countries." When a reporter asks if he would allow a Scottish Muslim into the country, Trump says: "It wouldn't bother me."
Trump also gives an interview to the Daily Mail in which he veers even further from the plan announced in December. "I don't care where" immigrants to the US come from, he says, "but they're going to be even more severely vetted if it's one of the terror countries."
July 24: Trump dismisses suggestions that he has softened his position, telling NBC News that his new policy of "extreme vetting" is "an expansion" of the original plan.
"I'm looking now at territories. People were so upset when I used the word Muslim. 'Oh, you can't use the word Muslim.' Remember this. And I'm okay with that, because I'm talking territory instead of Muslim," he says.