Donald Trump on Tuesday blasted news reports about his fundraising activities for veterans groups, saying an effort he launched in January has raised millions of dollars for them.

Trump said 5.6 million dollars of the 6 million dollars he set out to raise had been pledged. He personally donated 1 million dollars of that total, and "more is coming in," he said.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee blasted reporters, referring to one as "sleazy" and saying questions about the fundraising efforts had been raised by reporters who "are not good people."

Speaking at a news conference at Trump Tower in New York City, Trump said: "I find the press to be extremely dishonest; I find the political press unbelievably dishonest."

Trump has insulted the news media on many occasions in the past, but his tone on Tuesday was especially sharp, and he said if he were elected president his combativeness would continue.

He said he wanted to do the fundraising "out of the goodness of my heart," not for publicity, but in fact the launch of the fundraising effort actually was very public. He kicked it off on the same night as a presidential debate that he declined to participate in.

Trump acknowledged that some of the money pledged had not come through, but said the final total would likely exceed 6 million dollars.

He added that veterans groups that are benefiting from the fundraising are furious over media reports questioning the charity efforts.

"On behalf of the vets the press should be ashamed of itself," Trump said.

Trump enlisted several veterans to stand with him at the news conference and defend the fundraising efforts.

Front-runner Hillary Clinton said on CNN that Trump's scornful tone demonstrated "that insulting and attacking is his mode of operation, and I just don't think that is going to cut it if you actually want to produce results with the American people."

Clinton said Trump "bragged for months" about raising money for veterans, "but it took a reporter to shame him into actually making his contribution."

US Representative Chris Collins, a Republican from New York, said Trump's lashing out at the media wouldn't hurt him with voters. They believe it's about time a candidate pointed out media bias using words that are "anything but political speak," Collins said.

"Donald will be Donald," Collins, a Trump supporter, told CNN. "It's not impacting his popularity at all."

Related stories

Clintons to attend Trump's swearing-in ceremony

Trump goes on rant against "dishonest media"

Trump says he doesn't like tweeting, then tweets some more

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.