US president-elect Donald Trump admitted Wednesday that he thought the hacking of Democratic Party officials during the presidential campaign was committed by Russia, as he used a rare news conference to attack media outlets for reporting that the Kremlin may have damaging information about him.

Trump made the admission during his first press conference since winning the November 8 election, after months of questioning US intelligence that pinned the hacking on the Russian government.

"I think it was Russia, but think we also get hacked by other countries," he said.

The billionaire's appearance before reporters was intended primarily to clarify how he would separate himself from his business interests before assuming office, but came amid a growing controversy over his ties with the Kremlin.

Trump and his lawyer did outline plans to hand over his business interests to his adult sons, Donald Trump Jr and Eric Trump, and remove himself completely from the operations.

Trump also boasted of creating jobs, discussed his plans to build a wall on the US-Mexican border and repeal President Barack Obama's signature health care reforms.

But the conference opened with statements from top Trump team members on the Russia allegations, and it formed the focus of most of the questions.

The controversy surrounded a memo which contains unverified charges allegedly including details about Trump's sexual activities in Russia and his financial activities, as well as claims that Trump officials met with the Russians during the campaign.

Trump told reporters that the allegations "should never have been published."

The release of the information is a "disgrace" and was carried out by "sick people," he said, attacking website BuzzFeed for releasing the dossier and refusing to take a question from a CNN reporter.

A synopsis of the allegations was attached to the end of a report by US intelligence agencies on Russian interference in last year's presidential election, broadcaster CNN reported late Tuesday.

Trump admitted he had read the information, but added: "It's all fake news. It's phony stuff. It didn't happen."

The intelligence memo is reportedly based on a separate report generated by political operatives looking into Trump's background, but intelligence officials felt they needed to make Trump aware of the charges.

A Kremlin spokesman earlier denied the charges as an "absolute fabrication" and claimed it does not collect "compromising information."

Trump spokesman Sean Spicer discounted charges about the meetings with Russians, while Trump claimed he had always been "careful" about his personal dealings, especially while abroad.

He also said he had no business relationships with Russia.

"I have no dealings with Russia. I have no deals that could happen in Russia, because we've stayed away. And I have no loans with Russia," Trump said.

US media outlets have stressed they have been unable to verify the claims and that the report contains some incorrect information.

Trump also addressed diplomatic ties with Russia, saying he was unsure whether he will have good relations with Russian President Vladimir Putin when he takes office.

"If Putin likes Donald Trump, I consider that an asset, not a liability, because we have a horrible relationship with Russia," Trump said.

Later he claimed Russia would have "much better respect" for the US under his presidency.

The top Democrat in the US Senate meanwhile called for tougher sanctions on Russia over cyberhacking during the election.

"One thing we now all agree on is that Russia is behind the hacking of our election. Even the president-elect has now just said it," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said.

He demanded "a new, tough sanctions regime in response so Russia can’t get away with what they did and other countries will know as well that they will suffer penalties if they try to interfere with our elections."

More than 300 journalists gathered in the lobby of Trump Tower in New York hours before the event was set to begin at 11 am (1600 GMT) amid heightened security at the Manhattan skyscraper, where sidewalks were blocked and businesses were closed.

Trump's first news conference since his victory had originally been scheduled for December 15 before being cancelled and rescheduled. He had not held a press conference since July.

More than half of Americans are concerned about Trump's transparency in outlining his plans and 57 per cent express concern about potential conflicts of interest in his administration, a poll released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center found.

Related stories

Mr 'Art of the Deal' Trump says he has no deals with Russia

Trump calls Russian hacking focus "political witch hunt"

Would-be defence, CIA chiefs break with Trump on Russia

US modifies Russia sanctions to allow technology sales

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.