The death toll from three attacks in Afghanistan climbed to 58 and the United Arab Emirates confirmed Wednesday that five of its diplomats were killed in southern Kandahar province.
At least 116 people were wounded in Tuesday's attacks, with the largest casualty count from the bombing outside parliament in the capital, Kabul.
Two Taliban suicide bombers targeted the parliament's gate while staffers and parliamentarians were getting ready to go home. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid had claimed responsibility for the attack.
"Ten people are in intensive care," said Qamaruddin Sediqi, the Health Ministry spokesman.
The suicide bombing was followed by two explosions inside the governor's home in southern Kandahar province late Tuesday, killing 11 people including five members of a UAE delegation.
At the time of the bombing, UAE ambassador Juma Mohammad Abdullah Al Kaabi was visiting Kandahar Governor Humayun Azizi.
Haji Mohammad Yosuf Yonusi, a member of the provincial council, said a lawmaker from northern Jawzjan, the deputy governor of Kandahar, and an Afghan diplomat stationed in Washington who was home on vacation died in the blasts.
Governor Azizi and UAE ambassador Al Kaabi were among 10 to 16 others wounded.
The Taliban spokesman denied the group's involvement in the Kandahar blasts.
According to Haji Sayed Jan Khakrezwal, the head of Kandahar's provincial council, the explosives were placed inside couches
Another suicide bombing in southern Helmand province earlier in the day killed seven people and wounded three to six others.
Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack saying the suicide bomber targeted a meeting of members of the Afghan spy agency - National Directorate of Security (NDS) - and military commanders.The Afghan government said a private house was attacked.
Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 20:24
Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 14:01
Friday, December 2, 2016 - 13:18