A series of bomb attacks across central and southern Thailand that killed 4 people and injured over 30 others, including foreign tourists, was likely to be the work of "local elements," Thai police said Friday. 

Speaking from the National Police Headquarters in Bangkok, Police Chief Chakthip Chaijinda told reporters that he believed they were carried out by people dissatisfied with the political situation in Thailand, which is currently in its third year under a military government.

He said it could have been carried out by opponents of a military-drafted constitution, which was approved in a referendum last week.

"You have to look at where the attacks occurred, all these provinces voted for [the military constitution]," he said. "This is just my opinion, but these attacks were in relation to the political developments."

The multiple bomb attacks struck tourist destinations and government buildings across five provinces in less than 24 hours.

In one of the blasts, which struck around midnight in the busy seaside resort of Hua Hin, three Germans, three Italians, three Dutch citizens and one Austrian were injured, according to embassy and police officials.

All those wounded were taken to hospital in Hua Hin, also well known as the location of the Thai royal family's summer palace.

The German Foreign Ministry issued a travel warning for Thailand saying that its nationals should exercise extreme caution if visiting the country.

Security was increased after the overnight and early morning attacks. Police dogs and soldiers were seen patrolling railway stations and government installations across the capital of Bangkok. 

Nittinai Sirismatthakarn, president of Airports of Thailand, told dpa that security was increased to its highest level and advised passengers to leave early to catch their flights. 

The junta instructed security personnel to increase vigilance ahead of Queen Sirikit of Thailand's birthday celebrations on Friday, spokesman Winthai Suvaree said.

"We will not let people with bad intentions towards the country dictate the situation," Winthai told reporters.

The attacks were not "terrorism-related," Thai police said. 

"Thailand has no territorial or religious quarrel with anyone. This is not an act of terrorism but an act of local sabotage," said police spokesman Piyaphan Phingmuang. 

Two explosions targeted police stations in the southern province of Surat Thani around 8 am (0100 GMT) on Friday. One person was killed.

Another bomb attack hit the tourist resort of Phuket around 9 am. The explosion occurred near Patong beach, which is popular with foreign tourists. The blast injured one taxi driver.

A third bomb attack targeted a tourist area in southern Phang Nga province but no one was injured. 

One person was killed and three more were injured in a bomb attack around 9 am in the seaside resort of Hua Hin, about 200 kilometres south-west of Bangkok.

The incident occurred less than 12 hours after a separate bomb attack in the same city killed one person and injured 20 more, including the 10 foreigners.

"The bombings have the same attack profile," Army General Danai Kritmethavee told reporters. "We believe at this time that this was a coordinated attack." 

One person was also killed Thursday evening in a bomb attack in the southern province of Trang, 850 kilometres south of Bangkok

"These attacks are aimed at creating unrest in the country," Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan told reporters Friday morning. 

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said "we have to focus on not creating panic among the people and restoring law and order." 

Authorities provided little evidence indicating who was behind the attacks, which come as Thais marked a long weekend to celebrate Queen Sirikit's 84th birthday, also Mother's Day in Thailand. 

Many Thais either return home or spend the extended break at seaside resorts like Hua Hin, although pictures online suggested that the streets of Hua Hin were mostly empty early Friday.

Thailand sees regular bomb attacks, but rarely beyond its most southern areas. Since 2004, an insurgent movement to create an independent state in three southern Muslim-majority provinces has resulted in 6,200 deaths and 11,000 people injured.

In five days' time the country will mark one year since one of its worst bomb attacks. The bombing of the Erawan shrine on August 17 last year killed 20 people, mostly tourists.

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.