An eight-day manhunt came to an end Friday, when Israeli special commandos shot the fugitive who killed three Israelis in Tel Aviv one week ago, police said Friday.
Nashat Melhem, an Arab-Israeli from an Arab town in northern Israel aged around 31, allegedly shot dead two Israelis in a bar in Tel Aviv's landmark Dizengoff Street on Friday last week, after which he allegedly hailed a cab and shot dead the driver.
The suspect was holed up in a building in his home town of Ar'ara, and shot dead in the fire fight with special commandos, police spokeswoman Luba Samri said.
She said he emerged from the building firing at the forces, but was immediately shot and killed.
No one among the forces was injured, she said. Other details remained under a gag order.
Israel's Channel 2 said the building was a mosque. The channel showed a partially blurred photograph of the suspect lying on the ground, his gun by his side.
Israeli Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan thanked Israeli law enforcement and "anyone who took part in the massive effort to trace the despicable terrorist, who carried out the attack in Dizengoff last week."
"Since the attack, our forces worked day and night and turned every stone everywhere in order to trace down the terrorist and I am happy that today that great effort came to fruition," Erdan said in a statement.