Syrian forces regain more ground from rebels in Aleppo, activists say

Syrian forces on Thursday recaptured a strategic district from rebels in Aleppo, boosting their advance against the opposition in the divided city, activists said.

The government forces, backed by allies from the Lebanese Hezbollah movement, regained the district of Ramousseh on the southern outskirts of Aleppo, more than a month after the rebels had captured it, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group, reported. 

The advance tightens the regime's siege on rebel-held districts in eastern Aleppo.  

"This is a severe blow for the rebels. They have lost all the land they took from the regime on the southern edges of Aleppo a month ago," the observatory's head, Rami Abdel-Rahman, said.

"There are real fears on the fate of some 300,000 people living in eastern Aleppo," he told dpa.

A source close to Hezbollah said that the pro-Iranian Shiite movement had sent more than 1,000 fighters to support the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in its fight against rebels in southern Aleppo.

Local activist Omar al-Arab meanwhile said the situation inside the opposition-controlled eastern section of Aleppo was worsening due to intense regime shelling of the area.

"Streets are empty and people are afraid," he said.

Al-Arab told dpa via Facebook that the city was suffering from a shortage of food supplies. 

Efforts by the UN to reach an agreement on regular 48-hour ceasefires to allow aid deliveries to Aleppo so far have been unsuccessful, despite government ally Russia agreeing to the plan.

Last update: Thu, 08/09/2016 - 17:21
Author: 

More from World

Reports: Dozens killed in church collapse in Nigeria

Dozens of people were killed in Uyo in southern Nigeria Saturday when a church collapsed/ according to reports.

Report: Trump to nominate Exxon chief for secretary of state

US president-elect Donald Trump will nominate Exxon Mobil chief executive Rex Tillerson to be his secretary of state...

15 killed, 69 injured in Istanbul: ministry

Attacks in Istanbul near a football stadium Saturday killed 15 people and injured 69, a Turkish government official...

Turkish government imposes broadcast ban after explosions in Istanbul

The Turkish government has imposed a broadcast ban in the country on Saturday night, state-run news agency Anadolu...

Iran summons British ambassador over prime minister's remarks

The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the British ambassador concerning remarks made earlier this week by Prime...