The Syrian government is ready to resume UN-sponsored peace talks with the opposition aimed at ending the country’s five-year conflict, the Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
“Syria is prepared to continue the Syrian-Syrian dialogue without preconditions in the hope that this dialogue will lead to a comprehensive solution formulated by Syrians themselves without foreign interference and with backing of the United Nations and international community,” an unnamed official at the ministry told Syria’s state news agency SANA.
The UN hopes that a new round of Syria talks will be held in August.
Negotiations held earlier this year between the Syrian government and the opposition collapsed against the backdrop of a surge in fighting inside the country.
The Syrian conflict began in March 2011 with peaceful protests against the regime of President Bashar al-Assad. It soon developed into a full-blown conflict, claiming more than 250,000 lives.
Some 4.8 million Syrians have fled the country since 2011, with another 6.6 million displaced inside its borders, according to UN estimates.