.

bashar al-assad.jpg
Photograph: EPA/SANA HANDOUT

The Syrian government was ready to "continue its cooperation" with international investigators on the use of chemical weapons, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said Saturday, noting that his country had eliminated all such weapons.

The comments before the UN General Assembly came a month after a joint investigative mechanism of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and the UN confirmed that the Syrian government had used chlorine gas on two occasions since 2014.

The report also found that Islamic State extremists fired artillery shells filled with mustard gas during at least one attack in 2015.

"Syria reiterates its readiness to continue its cooperation with the Joint Investigation Mechanism, as well as to continue the Syrian relevant investigation," al-Moallem said.

"In fact, we have efficiently and responsibly eliminated all chemical weapons in Syria."

The UN report's findings have drawn international calls for accountability after Syria was required to get rid of its chemical weapons stockpile and end such attacks under a 2013 UN Security Council resolution.

However, Russia, a main ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, has so far halted any accountability measures.

On Friday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the investigation had produced a "good report" but cautioned against treating the findings as if they were definitive.

"[The investigators] present evidence, which is not conclusive, and they recognize this," Lavrov said. "We want truth to be established."

The report published in August found that Syrian government helicopters dropped chlorine on the Idlib governorate towns of Talmenes on April 21, 2014, and Sarmin on March 16, 2015.

The report, which had been commissioned by the Security Council to identify perpetrators of chemical attacks in Syria, also found that the Islamic State used mustard gas in Marea in the Aleppo region on August 21, 2015. The investigators were unable to identify which side carried out chemical weapons attacks in six other cases, however, they continue to work on finding conclusive evidence in three cases.

Related stories

Latest news

Croatian MEP says Moscow wants to influence in western Balkans

Croatian MEP Ivan Jakovcic said in an interview with the Montenegrin Pobjeda daily on Thursday that Moscow is trying to exploit the political forces in Montenegro and that Russia's meddling in Montenegro's internal affairs was "unacceptable behaviour."

New York Times launches brand campaign for "The Truth" with Oscars ad

The New York Times is using Sunday's Academy Awards show to launch an advertising drive with an ad spot that capitalizes on President Donald Trump's confrontational relationship with the paper and other mainstream media.

Gambia charges former spy chief with murder of opposition leader

The former head of the Gambian national intelligence agency has been charged with the murder of an opposition youth leader who died in detention last year.

Dutch populist Wilders won't publicly campaign after security fiasco

The Dutch Party for Freedom (PVV) won't make public appearances in support of its election campaign after a security official assigned to protect party founder Geert Wilders was detained by police.

Peace Implementation Council Steering Board calls for defusing tensions in Bosnia

The Steering Board of the Peace Implementation Council in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) met on Thursday, expressing the international community's concern about the situation in the country and calling on local politicians to act rationally to prevent an escalation of the crisis after a motion was submitted to review an International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruling in BiH's case against Serbia for genocide.

Trump blasts Mexico as top diplomat holds talks in Mexico City

US President Donald Trump expressed ambivalence about the US relationship with Mexico as he blasted the country Thursday for what he claims is an unfair trade relationship.

Croat accused of rioting at UEFA 2016 game goes on trial

The trial of Ivan Vucenovic, 21, accused of causing rioting during a European soccer championship match between Croatia and the Czech Republic in Saint Etienne, France last June, began at the Sibenik Municipal Court on Thursday.

Schools blocked, 26 arrests in Paris protests against police abuses

Hundreds of young people took to the streets of Paris on Thursday in protests against alleged police brutality, with local media reporting that 16 secondary schools were forced to shut.

Aid agency: 13 dead among dozens trapped in Libya container

The bodies of 13 migrants were found along with dozens of survivors trapped inside a transport container in Libya's western town of Khoms, an aid agency said Thursday.

Strike grounds hundreds of Alitalia flights

Employees of loss-making Italian airline Alitalia walked off the job Thursday after government-mediated talks failed to break the deadlock, causing the airline to cancel hundreds of flights.

Bosnia requests review of ICJ judgement that exonerating Serbia

Bosnia and Herzegovina's legal counsel Sakib Softic on Thursday submitted a request to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague, for a review of a judgement in the genocide suit against Serbia.

Frljic: Warsaw play big hit, ascribes criticism to conservative repression

The media have reported that Polish prosecutors on Wednesday began investigating Frljic's play, which the Catholic Church and the conservative community in Poland have called "blasphemous".