syria sirija damask.jpg
Photograph: EPA/MOHAMMED BADRA

More than 100 people were killed in a series of blasts that rocked regime-held areas on the Syrian coast Monday, activists and a monitoring group said.

"More than 48 people were killed in Tartus and 73 others in Jableh located on the outskirts of the province of Latakia," the head of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Rami Abdel Rahman, told dpa.

The observatory said the blasts targeted bus and taxi stations in both cities, as well as the power company and the entrance to a hospital emergency department in Jableh.

Islamic State supporters on social media circulated a claim of responsibility for the bomb attacks.

"Attacks by Islamic State fighters hit gatherings of Alawites in the cities of Tartus and Jableh on the Syrian coast," the statement reads, referencing the Alawite sect of President Bashar al-Assad, which has a strong presence in coastal Syria.

The claim, which was ascribed to Islamic State's Aamaq news agency, could not be independently verified by dpa.

The port of Tartus has been used for years by the Russian Navy. The port has been busy recently receiving and delivering supplies to the Russian Army based in Syria.

Jableh is near the main Hmeimim airbase used by the Russians for launching airstrikes across Syria.

Both areas are heavily populated by Alawites. Both cities are also crowded with refugees who have escaped other areas over security concerns.

The observatory said refugees who are living in Tartus and Jableh fear that the regime may carry out a series of arrests among their ranks because some of them are Sunni Muslims.

The Tartus blasts came a few minutes after at least two explosions rocked Jableh, the observatory said.

"The number of casualties is likely to increase as there are tens of wounded in both blasts," an activist in the province of Latakia, who goes by the name of Abu Mohammed, told dpa.

Rami Abdel Rahman has put the number of wounded at 200.

The state-run Syrian News Agency (SANA) confirmed the blasts and said that the explosion in Tartus took place in a residential area.

According to SANA, first a car bomb went off in the area where a transportation station is located in Tartus; and then a few seconds later a suicide bomber blew himself up in the area, causing several casualties.

"A third blast was carried out simultaneously by a suicide bomber on the western side of the station, which was targeted by the first two blasts," SANA added.  

The agency said that several blasts also rocked the area of Jableh. Syrian-State TV further reported that one of the Jableh blasts hit a hospital in the area.

Pictures aired by state television showed heavy damage in the areas where the blasts took place and blood pools covering the streets.

Other television footage showed minibuses, vans and taxis ablaze, while panicking people were running and shouting for help.

"These are the worst blasts to hit Tartus area in 30 years," Abdel Rahman said. 

In April 1986, a wave of deadly bomb attacks hit Tartus and Mashtal Helou. The blasts then targeted buses transporting Syrian Army cadets.

At least 27 cadets were killed in the blasts which were at the time blamed on what the regime called "Israeli agents." 

Latest news

Key congressman has 'no evidence' of Trump contacts with Russia

The chairman of the US House of Representatives' Intelligence Committee said he is not aware of any evidence of improper contacts between Russian officials and Donald Trump's presidential campaign.

Gambia's new President Barrow fires army chief

Gambia's new President Adama Barrow has sacked army chief Ousman Badjie, replacing him with a presidential military aide.

Star investor Buffett takes a bigger bite of Apple, doubling shares

Stock market guru Warren Buffett on Monday revealed that his investment firm Berkshire Hathaway doubled its share of iPhone producer Apple stocks last month.

Minister: Erdogan not welcome in Austria for referendum campaign

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan should not come to Austria to campaign to Turkish citizens living there ahead of a constitutional reform referendum in his country, Austrian Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz said Monday.

Migrant group: Britain hits 'new low' by deporting grandmother

Britain has hit a "new low" by deporting a grandmother from north-eastern England to Singapore, a migrants' rights group said on Monday.

Turkish judge remands German reporter in custody

A Turkish judge remanded German-Turkish journalist Deniz Yucel in custody Monday, according to newspaper Die Welt, sparking strong condemnation from the German government.

1.4 million people without water after deadly floods in Chile

More than 1.4 million people were without drinking water in the Chilean capital of Santiago on Monday following catastrophic flooding that left at least three people dead.

Serbia PM says no snap parliamentary election

Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said on Monday that an early parliamentary election would not be held simultaneously with a presidential vote, although the state leadership had announced such a possibility.  

Trump touts 'security budget' with 10-per-cent defence spending hike

US President Donald Trump says he will present a "public security and national security budget" that hikes military spending by 54 billion dollars or about 10 per cent.

National Front founder Jean-Marie Le Pen fined for Roma comments

The founder of France's far-right National Front, Jean-Marie Le Pen, had a 5,000-euro (5,300-dollar) fine for inciting racial hatred and discrimination confirmed on appeal on Monday.

Croatia-Montenegro relations example for region, says minister

After meeting Croatian Ambassador Veselko Grubisic in Podgorica on Monday, Montenegrin Defence Minister Predrag Boskovic said that relations between Croatia and Montenegro were very good and could serve as an example to other countries in the region.

Over 31,000 South Sudanese flee fighting and hunger to Sudan

Fleeing escalating fighting and famine in South Sudan, over 31,000 people have arrived in neighbouring Sudan so far this year, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) said Monday.

SDP urges gov't to pull statement making radical turn in human rights

The opposition Social Democratic Party (SDP) on Monday called on the government to take a position on the Croatian foreign policy's turn in human rights, which it said was initiated by Foreign Minister Davor Ivo Stier, and to withdraw a Foreign Ministry statement on that sent to Brussels.

Police says photoshopped photo of Milanka Opacic motivated by hate

An investigation has proved that a photograph showing Parliament Deputy Speaker Milanka Opacic wearing a shirt with four Cyrillic letters "S" (standing for "only unity saves the Serb", a popular motto and slogan in Serbia and among Serb nationalists) is a photomontage and the police suspect that publishing and distributing the said photo has been motivated by hate and intolerance.

Finance Ministry says didn't analyse HEP's readiness for IPO

The Ministry of Finance on Monday announced that it had not analysed the justification or the readiness of power provider Hrvatska Elektroprivreda (HEP) for an initial public offering with regard to a possible acquisition of Hungarian energy company MOL's stake in Croatia's INA.

Berlin confirms murder of German hostage in the Philippines

Berlin confirmed on Monday the murder of a German hostage by the militant Islamist group Abu Sayyaf in the southern Philippines with Chancellor Angela Merkel condemning the killing as "barbaric" and "abominable".

Syrian refugees arrive in Italy with help from Christian groups

A group of 50 Syrian refugees, more than half of them children, landed in Italy early Monday, entering the country on humanitarian visas obtained with the help of a lay Catholic NGO, Protestant organizations and the Italian government.

Macedonian opposition claims right to assume government

Macedonia's opposition Social Democratic (SDSM) leader Zoran Zaev on Monday said that he expects to take over as prime minister because he has managed to build a majority in parliament.