Mustafa Badreddine, a senior commander in the Lebanese Hezbollah militia, was killed in an explosion this week in Syria, the Iran-allied group said Friday.

Hezbollah said the initial investigation showed that Badreddine, 55, died Tuesday night in a large explosion that targeted one of its bases near the Damascus airport.

"[The] investigation now is concentrating on whether the blast was caused by bombardment, a missile or an airstrike," Hezbollah said in a statement. 

Lebanese media reported earlier that Badreddine had been killed in an Israeli air raid.

Neither the White House nor the US State Department could not confirm Badreddine's death.

"The thing that I can confirm is that there were no US or coalition aircraft in the area where he was reported to be killed," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said.

State Department spokesman John Kirby reiterated that Hezbollah is a US-designated foreign terrorist organization and described Badreddine as "a deeply committed terrorist."

In 2012, the US Treasury imposed sanctions on him and other Hezbollah leaders, citing the movement's "active support" to al-Assad's regime and its role in "terrorist activities."

Thousands of Hezbollah followers gathered late Friday in Beirut's southern suburbs for Badreddine's funeral.

Hezbollah deputy chief Naeem Qassem promised that the group will reveal in the coming hours who was behind Badreddine's killing.

"Israel and the Tikfri [militant] groups have received deadly strikes that were carried out by the martyr," Qassem said without elaborating.

Hezbollah followers wearing military fatigues lined the streets of Beirut's southern suburbs, a stronghold of the group, as black-clad women clad wept for the slain commander.

Badreddine's coffin, draped in the yellow Hezbollah flag, was carried through the streets of the area as mourners chanted: "May God bless your martyrdom."

Some mourners shouted "God bless Hezbollah" while raising their fists in the air.

Badreddine reportedly led Hezbollah's operations since 2011 in Syria, where the group has been fighting alongside the forces of President Bashar al-Assad against rebels.

Al-Assad, a Hezbollah ally, sent his condolences through Syrian Ambassador to Lebanon Ali Abdel-Kareem, Hezbollah television al-Manar reported.

In a letter of condolence to Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif of Iran said the military commander's death would reignite the militia's fighting spirit against Israel and the Islamic State extremist movement in Syria.

"Mustafa Badreddine dedicated his whole life to the fight against injustice and terrorism," Zarif said in comments carried by Iranian state news agency ISNA.

Badreddine had lived in Syria in recent years.

"I will not return from Syria unless I am a martyr, carrying the banner of victory," al-Manar television quoted Badreddine as previously saying.

Badreddine and five other Hezbollah members were indicted by the UN-backed Special Tribunal for Lebanon over the 2005 assassination of former Lebanese prime minister Rafik Hariri.

Badreddine was linked to the 1983 bombing of the US Marine barracks in Beirut that killed 241 personnel, and was the convicted mastermind of deadly bombings targeting the US and French embassies in December 1983 in Kuwait City. He was sentenced to hang in Kuwait but eventually escaped after years in prison.

Badreddine is the third high-ranking Hezbollah commander slain in the last two years in Syria. Hezbollah is believed to have lost more than 1,200 fighters in the Syrian conflict, which arose after peaceful pro-democracy protests in March 2011.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.