Russia rejected a claim by a Syria monitoring group on Friday that its airstrikes have killed about 10,000 people in the Middle Eastern country in the past year.

"We do not consider information about what happens in Syria from an organization based in Britain to be reliable," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in comments carried by state media.

Friday marked exactly one year since Russia began its bombing campaign in Syria to help that country's beleaguered president, longtime Russian ally Bashar al-Assad.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Friday that Russian airstrikes in Syria have killed about 10,000 people, including almost 4,000 civilians.

The death toll includes more than 900 children, the Observatory said.

Russia has maintained that the purpose of its bombing campaign in Syria is to eradicate terrorist organizations that have amassed significant territory in the war-torn country in recent years. However, Russia has been accused of targeting relatively moderate rebel groups endangering al-Assad's regime.

"You can speculate as much as you want, but the goal is to fight international terrorism," Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Friday, in comments carried by state media.

Russian airstrikes have killed almost 3,000 members of the UN-designated terrorist group Islamic State and another nearly 3,000 members of other militant groups, according to the observatory.

Meanwhile the US has threatened to end diplomatic engagement with Russia on Syria over its failure to halt airstrikes in Aleppo.

US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov spoke again Friday about the situation, as the State Department defended not taking action despite having made the threat earlier this week.

"We are at the same place. We have not definitively closed that door. We have not definitively taken action to end diplomatic engagement with Russia on Syria. We are on the verge," spokesman Mark Toner said.

He said the US had not yet reached the determination there was no reason to continue talks with Moscow, but that they could be there in "a matter of hours, in a matter of days."

The situation in Aleppo has worsened and the rebel-held areas of the city could fall "soon," Toner noted.

Earlier this week, US State Department spokesman John Kirby also warned that Russia's bombing campaign in Syria could further destabilize that country and enable extremist groups to gain power.

Russia's Foreign Ministry responded by accusing the United States of supporting terrorists in Syria. Russia has repeatedly said the United States has failed to prevent US-backed Syrian rebel groups from working with al-Qaeda-linked militants.

Although Russia and the US support opposing sides in Syria, they agree on the need to eliminate UN-designated terrorist organizations.

Last week, the observatory said that strikes by a US-led coalition in Syria have killed about 6,200 people, including more than 600 civilians, since they began around two years ago.

The observatory is "seeking to send a message to the international community," it said. "Perhaps these shocking statistics, cries and pain may touch the conscience of this community to react."

More than 300,000 have been killed in Syria since a popular uprising against al-Assad erupted five years ago.

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.