Russia plans legal action against doping report

Russia plans to take legal action after a report this month said the country was running a state-sponsored sports doping programme.

Th accusations made in a World Anti-Doping Agency-commissioned report by Canadian lawyer Richard McLaren have led dozens of Russian sportsmen and women to be barred from the Rio de Janeiro Olympics which start on Friday.

"We will analyse each line and proceed legally against it," Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko told Russian sports television channel Match TV on Saturday.

Mutko has vehemently denied the accusations but McLaren said he had "unwavering confidence" in his findings, which included evidence that Russian secret service the FSB was involved in covering up failed doping tests.

WADA called on all Russians due to compete at the Olympic Games to be banned but the International Olympic Committee stopped short of a blanket suspension and left it up to individual sports bodies to decide.

The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) is the latest to act, banning all Russian weightlifters on Friday from participating in the Games.

The IWF said on its website that the multiple documented cases of doping among Russian weightlifters was "shocking and disappointing" and had damaged the integrity of the sport.

It said that the eight positions reserved for Russian athletes had been offered to other weightlifters.

The majority of other sports federations have banned Russians with previous doping convictions and those named in McLaren's report but have permitted those seen as clean to go to Rio.

A separate doping report last year led to the entire Russian-based track and field team being barred from Rio.

Athletes banned from the Games plan to sue the authorities after the Olympics are over on August 21, Mutko added.

Last update: Sat, 30/07/2016 - 12:34
Author: 

More from World

Reports: Dozens killed in church collapse in Nigeria

Dozens of people were killed in Uyo in southern Nigeria Saturday when a church collapsed/ according to reports.

Report: Trump to nominate Exxon chief for secretary of state

US president-elect Donald Trump will nominate Exxon Mobil chief executive Rex Tillerson to be his secretary of state...

15 killed, 69 injured in Istanbul: ministry

Attacks in Istanbul near a football stadium Saturday killed 15 people and injured 69, a Turkish government official...

Turkish government imposes broadcast ban after explosions in Istanbul

The Turkish government has imposed a broadcast ban in the country on Saturday night, state-run news agency Anadolu...

Iran summons British ambassador over prime minister's remarks

The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the British ambassador concerning remarks made earlier this week by Prime...