SYRIA ALEPPO CONFLICT.jpg
Photograph: EPA/SANA HANDOUT

Moscow has said it will carry out an eight-hour ceasefire to Russian and Syrian government air raids in and around Aleppo, in which at least 35 people were killed on Monday, according to a monitoring group.

The "humanitarian pause" is intended to allow safe passage for civilians and the withdrawal of "militants" from rebel-held eastern Aleppo, General Sergei Rudskoi of the Russian General Staff said in comments quoted by the official TASS news agency.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 23 people were killed in the village of Ouwayjel west of Aleppo, and 12 died in strikes on the rebel-held eastern sector of the divided city.

Activists in Ouwayjel and Aleppo said they believed Russian warplanes had carried out the raids in both locations.

Ibrahim al-Hajj, a spokesman for the White Helmets rescue group in besieged eastern Aleppo, told dpa that the raids were conducted by Russian planes using "new bombs which we called earthquakes due to the loud bangs and massive damage they make."

Al-Hajj put the toll of the eastern Aleppo strikes at 14, including eight children.

Hours after the strikes, Russia announced that its air force and allied Syrian forces would cease fire in Aleppo from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Moscow time (0500 to 1300 GMT) on Thursday.

Russia has previously announced the creation of safe passages from eastern Aleppo, but only a very small number of civilians are thought to have taken advantage of them.

After a meeting of the UN Security Council in New York, Russian UN ambassador Vitaly Churkin told reporters that Russia's declaration of an 8-hour pause was a unilateral action and having a longer cessation of hostilities would require "some kind of a mutual arrangement."

Churkin said that al-Nusra Front, a UN-designated terrorist group fighting alongside moderate Syrian rebels, has previous taken advantage of humanitarian pauses and noted that terrorists would need to leave Aleppo before the Syrian government and rebels can enter into a ceasefire.

"If there is a broader arrangement ... when Nusra is taken out of the picture, it would be an indefinite ceasefire," he said.

Churkin added that based on an agreement reached over the weekend in Lausanne, Switzerland, the US, Russia and regional stakeholders Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey were supposed to have started work on Monday to separate moderate opposition from al-Nusra.

Reacting to the latest Russian proposal, a spokesman for UN chief Ban Ki-moon said any pause "that's actually implemented" would be very welcome.

"We will use whatever pause we have to do whatever we can, obviously, there is a need for longer pause in order to get trucks rolling in," Stephane Dujarric said.

"We have been calling for at least a 48-hour ceasefire ... in order to get humanitarian aid in."

The UN has previously said security concerns and fears of arrest prevent Aleppo's civilians from crossing at government-designated safe passages, noting that Syrian army units are stationed at them.

In August UN humanitarian chief Stephen O'Brien slammed a deal that saw rebels and civilians evacuated en masse from the besieged Damascus suburb of Daraya before government forces moved in.

Such agreements were contrary to international humanitarian law and human rights law and should not be a precedent for other besieged areas of Syria, O'Brien said.children, have been killed in and around Aleppo since a brief ceasefire collapsed on September 19.

The majority of deaths were in rebel-held eastern Aleppo, a total of 448 civilians, the Observatory said. The government-held western sector has also been repeatedly targeted by indiscriminate rebel shelling.

Russia intervened in Syria a year ago to prop up President Bashar al-Assad's crumbling army.Its air campaign has enabled government forces to reclaim territory from both rebels and the Islamic State extremist group.

Latest news

Trump-style rhetoric is making world more dangerous, Amnesty says

Divisive and "poisonous" language used by politicians such as US President Donald Trump is putting vulnerable populations at risk and making the whole world a more dangerous place, Amnesty International charged on Wednesday.

Canada soon to begin resettling Iraqi refugees, most of them Yezidis

Canada will resettle 1,200 survivors of the Islamic State campaign to target religious minorities in northern Iraq, Canadian officials announced Tuesday. 

Breitbart editor resigns after release of paedophilia comments

Milo Yiannopoulos, a controversial editor at the far-right Breitbart news website, resigned Tuesday after the emergence of recordings in which he appears to defend sexual relationships between young boys and older men.

Trump administration opens door for mass deportations

The US Department of Homeland Security laid the groundwork Tuesday for mass deportations of immigrants living illegally in the United States under an executive order by President Donald Trump last month.

Brexit bill: House of Lords says public can change mind on leaving EU

The British public should be able to change their minds on Brexit - just as Prime Minister Theresa May did, the upper chamber of parliament heard Tuesday during a marathon debate on legislation to kick off EU negotiations.

Italian lawmakers, rights activists clash over gay sex club scandal

Gay rights activists and conservative politicians clashed Tuesday after the chief of Italy's anti-discrimination office quit over allegations that money had been authorized for gay sex clubs.

EU countries agree new rules to avoid tax evasion

European Union finance ministers in Brussels on Tuesday reached a political agreement on new rules to ensure that multinational corporations do not declare profits in the countries where they pay the least tax but in the countries where they generate it.

Trump condemns "horrible, painful" anti-Jewish incidents

US President Donald Trump condemned a recent spate of threats against Jewish community targets across the United States, during a visit Tuesday to the newly opened National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington.

FinMin expects Croatia to exit Excessive Deficit Procedure this spring

Finance Minister Zdravko Maric said on Tuesday Croatia could exit the Excessive Deficit Procedure this spring and that it was showing progress in correcting macroeconomic imbalances.

Austria seeks to create jobs, but new EU immigrants need not apply

Austria plans to create 160,000 jobs in the next three years by subsidizing companies, but the project has raised concerns because it effectively excludes people who recently immigrated from other EU countries.

Juncker: Not good for W. Balkans that some in Washington want to water down EU

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said on Tuesday it was not good for Western Balkan countries that some people in the new US administration gave the impression of being against the European Union because those countries needed the prospects of EU membership.

Citizens invited to help create Croatian version of Monopoly

A project to create a Croatian edition of Monopoly, in which citizens can participate by submitting proposals and which could become a souvenir for tourists, was presented at a press conference on Tuesday.

German state approves full-face veil ban

Legislation that bans face veils in select public spaces and situations was agreed by the government of the southeastern German state of Bavaria on Tuesday.

Indian restaurant Gaggan in Bangkok named Asia's best for third year

Bangkok's Indian eatery Gaggan on Tuesday was named the best restaurant in Asia for the third consecutive year by Asia's 50 Best Restaurants.

HGK: 16 Croatian companies to exhibit at IDEX defence exhibition

Sixteen Croatian companies will exhibit their products at the 13th IDEX 2017 defence exhibition in Abu Dhabi, to be held on February 19-23.