Donald Trump's victory in Indiana seems to have completed the billionaire's hostile takeover of the Republican presidential nomination, but has left the conservative party badly split.

Centre-right Republicans came out of Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential election loss to Barack Obama searching for answers, with a post-mortem by party officials concluding that more needed to be done to reach out to women and minorities, who make up an increasing share of the electorate.

But over the next four years, as in-fighting in Washington and dissatisfaction with Obama increased, voters seem to have come to a different conclusion, blaming party leaders and politicians.

Enter Donald Trump. He may have been seen as a hopelessly unconventional candidate, but he was able to tap into populist anger that most in the party leadership seemed to have no idea existed.

Trump is far from a hero to many Republicans, however. In fact, many of the party's grassroots conservatives, long-time activists and pundits have declared they would never support the billionaire real estate mogul. Using the Twitter hashtag #NeverTrump, they point to his shifting policy stances as evidence he does not actually share their conservative positions and call him unfit to hold the nation's highest office.

Romney even made forceful calls in a speech earlier this year urging his party not to nominate Trump.

Trump was so disliked by many within the party that they had lately rallied to opponent Ted Cruz, who had himself made many enemies within the party establishment.

Cruz ended his presidential bid late Tuesday after it became clear his attempt to keep Trump shy of the delegates needed to secure the nomination would fail and with it hopes that delegates would name an alternate candidate.

In withdrawing from the race, Cruz did not mention Trump or the need to rally behind the nominee. Instead he spoke of carrying forward conservative principles despite the setback.

"Will we rise to meet the challenges that face our nation on the international stage or will we withdraw and cower timidly from the world?" Cruz asked as he listed issues from fighting terrorism to creating jobs and battling political correctness.

"This is the responsibility with which we have been charged by history. This is our challenge. This is the fight that falls to our generation."

It remains unclear whether Cruz will eventually be persuaded to support Trump, but other vocal opponents of the New Yorker appeared unlikely to shift position.

Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse declared that Indiana's results did not change his opposition to Trump, while Senator Lindsey Graham, who also briefly ran for president, tweeted Tuesday, "If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed ... and we will deserve it."

Prominent conservative commentator Bill Kristol declared he would seek a third-party alternative to Trump or Clinton.

While a group organized to advocate against Trump said it would continue to oppose his nomination and "draw a line between him and the values of the conservative cause," Republican National Committee chairman Reince Preibus called on the party to unite behind the "presumptive nominee."

Preibus' remarks focus on the one thing that could potentially draw Republicans together in support of Trump: intense dislike for Democrat Hillary Clinton.

With many in the media anticipating a "Trumpocalypse" for the Republicans, Trump seemed unworried about his party's unity. Without naming names, he declared in his victory speech that many Republicans who had once opposed him were now calling to court him.

"We want to bring unity to the Republican Party. We have to bring unity," said Trump, who maintains he can put traditionally Democratic states in play in November elections.

Former rivals in the presidential race Chris Christie and Ben Carson have vocally supported Trump, and other lawmakers have lined up in recent days.

A speech on foreign policy in Washington last month and meetings with party officials seemed designed to smooth over fears within the party's highest ranks.

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, the top Republican in Congress, has repeatedly sought to distance himself from the frontrunner.

Ryan must guard against what some Republicans fear. With Trump leading the way in November elections, other Republican candidates in Congress and local races could be damaged and the party could even lose control of the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Ryan himself has previously said he does not hope to be chosen as an alternative to Trump, however, leaving his party with even fewer options to weather the coming storm.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.