Report: Over 4,000 killed in army offensive in Turkey since July

Over 4,000 people have been killed in a military offensive against the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in south-east Turkey, the state-run news agency Anadolu reported Monday.

The Turkish Army has killed 3,600 PKK fighters since July, Anadolu reported, adding that 355 security force personnel and 285 civilians had also died.

In total more than 5,000 PKK fighters have been placed "out of combat," the report said, including some 600 who were in prison and hundreds who were wounded.

The PKK did not confirm the number of killed fighters.

The pro-Kurdish opposition party, the HDP, said some 500 people had died since July. They could as yet not be identified as combatants and among them the majority were civilians, the HDP said.

A ceasefire between the PKK and the Turkish government broke down in July. Since then, Turkey has been carrying out a major offensive against the PKK in the south-east of the country.

Several districts have been under curfew for weeks. Currently the cities of Sirnak, Nusaybin and Yuksekova remain under curfew.

Last update: Mon, 28/03/2016 - 17:47
Author: 

More from World

Donald Trump prepares to take office, as thousands flock to Mall

Donald Trump arrived at the White House Friday as he prepares to take the oath of office and become the 45th...

Trumps arrives at White House for tea with the Obamas

US President Barack Obama greets his successor Donald Trump on the steps of the White House.

Protests and parties around the world mark Trump inauguration

Groups of demonstrators took to the streets in cities around the world on Friday to both lament and celebrate the...

UN: About 45,000 flee Gambia due to political crisis

About 45,000 people have fled from Gambia to neighbouring Senegal amid a threat of military intervention as autocrat...

Vietnam gets sixth submarine from Russia

Vietnam has received its sixth attack submarine from Russia amid rising Chinese assertiveness in the South China Sea...