The 10 members of the Association of South-East Asians Nations have abandonned attempts to agree a joint position on this week's ruling dismissing China's claims over the South China Sea, a media report said.

This indicates that the bloc has not rallied behind the Philippines' claim, supported by an international tribunal Tuesday, in the face of long-standing Chinese pressure over the territory issue.

"We gave up on issuing the ASEAN statement," an unidentified ASEAN source was quoted as saying by Japan's Kyodo News agency.

Laos, which holds ASEAN's rotating chair, informed the other members late Wednesday that there would be no joint statement "because no consensus could be reached," the source said.

The member nations had been discussing a possible joint statement since the Arbitral Tribunal of the Permanent Court of Arbitration on Tuesday upheld a case brought by the Philippines over the territory.

ASEAN is divided over how to approach China about its claims, which overlap with the claimed territory of its members Vietnam, Malaysia, the Philippines and Brunei.

China has said it will not negotiate with the bloc, only bilaterally with the members. Some members have also resisted joint negotiations or statements, including Cambodia.

Beijing in April said it had made a deal with Brunei, Cambodia and land-locked Laos that any territorial disputes should be handled between the parties concerned.

Singapore also distanced itself from the Philippines' proceedings, which were undertaken "without consultation with the rest of us," Foreign Minsitery Vivian Balakrishman told Parliament Monday.

After the verdict, the Foreign Ministry said Singapore "is not a claimant and we do not take sides on the competing territorial claims."

China dismissed the court's ruling as "null and void," saying it has no jurisdiction.

The South China Sea contains key shipping lanes and has estimated oil reserves of up to 30 billion tons and 20 trillion cubic metres of gas reserves, according to China's Ministry of Land and Resources.

But the tribunal ruled that the contested formations were mere reefs, not islands with a history of use by China, as Beijing has said.

In the case of the Spratly Islands, this means they cannot support China's claim to be part of its sovereign territory, and fall under the Philippines' 200-nautical-mile (370-kilometre) exclusive economic zone under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.