Report: Al-Qaeda received 11 million dollars for Spanish reporters

More than 11 million dollars were paid to obtain the recent release of three Spanish journalists held by al-Qaeda in Syria, a report by a Turkish pro-government newspaper said on Monday.

The report - released by Yeni Safak daily, and reproduced on the Turkish government's website - said some 3.7 million dollars were paid for each journalist. Additional funds went to displaced peoples' camps inside Syria.

It added that Turkey and Qatar were asked by the government of Spain to help with the negotiations but that Turkey did not communicate directly with al-Qaeda's Syria wing, known as the al-Nusra Front.

Madrid thanked both countries for their help in the negotiations after the three - Antonio Pampliega, Jose Manuel Lopez and Angel Sastr - arrived back in Spain earlier this month.

The journalists went missing in rebel-held Aleppo in July 2015 after entering Syria from Turkey, a staunch backer of the Syrian opposition fighting President Bashar al-Assad.

Last update: Mon, 16/05/2016 - 18:18
Author: 

Related

More from World

All 2,775 stranded tourists rescued from storm-hit Indian islands

A fleet of ships and helicopters evacuated 2,775 tourists, including many foreigners, stranded due to a cyclonic...

US commits 200 more troops to Syria

The United States is to send another 200 troops to Syria, Defence Secretary Ash Carter said Saturday, bringing the...

Opposition candidate wins Ghanaian elections with nearly 54 per cent

Ghanaian opposition candidate Nana Akufo-Addo ousted President John Dramani Mahama in this week’s presidential...

Britain's Johnson expresses understanding for Saudi strikes in Yemen

Greater efforts need to be made to find a political solution to the conflict in Yemen, British Foreign Minister...

56 reported killed in twin suicide blasts in Nigeria

Some 56 people were killed Friday in north-eastern Nigeria when two female suicide bombers detonated explosives at a...