Philippine police have foiled alleged bomb attacks being planned by an Islamic State-inspired group in Manila, the country’s police chief said Tuesday.
A suspect, identified as Nasif Ibrahim, was also apprehended during a raid on a suspected hideout in the city of Quezon on Monday, police Director General Ronald Dela Rosa said.
Police seized components for an explosive device, two pistols, a submachine gun and illegal drugs from Ibrahim's hideout, Dela Rosa said.
"The national police has foiled another sinister attempt by the IS-inspired Maute group to launch terrorist activities," he said.
Ibrahim is also suspected to have provided shelter to members of the Maute group, which has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) terrorist organization and has been blamed for terrorist attacks in the southern Philippines.
Dela Rosa said the Maute group had been planning bomb attacks in the capital Manila since last year to try to get the attention of Islamic State and get extra funding.
In November, security forces discovered a bomb planted near the US Embassy in Manila and later arrested four suspected members of the Maute group for the foiled attack.
Dela Rosa urged the public to be vigilant and report any suspicious activities to authorities.
"I do not want to sound alarmist or cause panic, but prudence, it has been said, is the better part of valour," he said. "I urge our people to remain calm yet alert and vigilant of the presence of threat groups in our midst."