Grace Nathan put on a brave smile and a firm handshake but the look in her eyes belied the pain and anguish that she has lived with for the past two years.

Grace, a lawyer in her late 20s, clearly remembered how she instinctively dialled the number of her mother’s mobile phone upon learning she had passed her bar exams in late 2014.

The phone did not ring. She burst into tears as she remembered that her mother, Anne Daisy, was among 239 people aboard Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 that disappeared without a trace on March 8, 2014 about an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing.

“I thought the pain would just go away in time but it just lingers and continues to eat us up,” she told dpa.

“It’s been like a roller coaster, up and down, up and down, but it never really goes away,” she said, her voice at times cracking with emotion. “It is impossible to move on because we don’t know what happened, so there’s nothing to accept.”

Grace, who leads an annual commemoration for the disappeared aircraft, said there was less participation this year, compared to last year when there was greater enthusiasm to keep alive the memories of MH370.

“Everybody is feeling that they are becoming more and more dead inside,” she said. “It’s all like, oh my God, why is this still happening?”

Grace admitted the stress and emotional swings she has been through during the last two years have taken their toll on her.

She said that on several occasions, she could not find her way to her office, where she has been working for more than a year.

“I had to check my phone to find my office address. I forgot what floor I work on. It’s ridiculous. It’s not even a big building,” she said.

Adding to the misery of the MH370 kin is the concern that the government will soon stop searching for the missing plane, believed to have crashed in a remote part of the Southern Indian Ocean.

Voice MH370, an organization of relatives of those aboard the missing aircraft, urged the international search team to press on until the plane is found.

“It appears that the concerned parties – Malaysia, Australia and China – are preparing to bring the curtains down on the search for MH370,” the group said in a statement released on March 2.

“Voice MH370 urges authorities to press on and search on the current search area. We believe that they should not throw in the towel, close this case and simply chalk it up as an unsolvable mystery,” it added.

The upcoming deadline for the filing of compensation claims is another concern that the relatives of passengers have to deal with.

Under the International Civil Aviation Organization Montreal Convention, passengers can only file compensation claims within two years of the incident.

In the case of MH370, that will only be by March 8 this year, according to Arunan Selvaraj, lead counsel of Rusmah Arunan and Associates, the law firm that handles two of three civil suits filed in Malaysian courts related to the disappeared aircraft.

Arunan said he received queries from foreign lawyers about the possibility of filing cases in Malaysia on behalf of their clients, but he declined because it was already very close to the deadline and there is a law in Malaysia that relatives have to seek consent from Malaysia Airlines before they can sue it.

“I find it silly and absurd. Basically you are trying to tell someone, if you are going to sue someone you have to get his permission,” Arunan told dpa, adding that queries about the rationale for such a law have remained unanswered by the relevant authorities.

Arunan said he advised foreign clients to file their cases in their home countries, beyond the reach of Malaysian law.

The veteran lawyer said that based on discussions with relatives of MH370 passengers, their main motivation in filing law suits is not so much the money.

“What they actually want more is the truth,” he said. “They want to know what actually transpired.”

Malaysia Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said an international investigating team was to release an interim statement on MH370 on the second anniversary of the plane’s disappearance.

“The purpose of setting up this investigative team is to determine the cause of the accident, so I think the interim report will definitely look into this effect,” he said in a press briefing in Kuala Lumpur.

But Liow did not say if the report will provide new details and insights related to the jet’s disappearance.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.