Nigeria willing to negotiate "Chibok girls" release via intermediary

The Nigerian government was willing to negotiate the release of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram through a foreign intermediary, President Muhammadu Buhari said Sunday.

Boko Haram kidnapped 276 girls and young women on April 14, 2014, from their school dormitory in the north-eastern village of Chibok.

Only about 50 of the abductees managed to escape immediately, while the rest are still believed to be held by Boko Haram, either as sex slaves or in forced marriages.

Despite various attempts to search for the missing girls and negotiate directly with the terror group, the military only managed to rescue one of the girls, in May, so far.

"If they do not want to talk to us directly, let them pick an internationally recognized non-governmental organization, convince them that they are holding the girls and that they want Nigeria to release a number of Boko Haram leaders in detention," President Buhari said in a statement.

The proposal comes two weeks after Boko Haram released a video showing dozens of young women who the group claimed were the abducted pupils. In the video, a masked gunman clutching an assault rifle calls on the parents of the "Chibok girls" to pressure the Nigerian government to release detained Boko Haram members, promising to let the kidnapped young women go in return.

Bring Back Our Girls, a group working to recover the kidnap victims, confirmed the identity of some of the girls and requested the government take action with "an immediate, transparent, action and results-oriented plan."

In depth coverage

Boko Haram releases video showing missing Chibok girls

The Boko Haram terror group released a video on Sunday showing dozens of young women who were abducted two years ago from north-eastern Nigeria's Chibok village.

Read more
Last update: Mon, 15/08/2016 - 00:09

Nigerian military: second "Chibok girl" and 96 other hostages freed

Nigerian security forces have rescued 97 hostages, including a second "Chibok girl," and killed 35 members of the Boko Haram terror group that had been holding the hostages, a military spokesman said early Friday.

Read more
Last update: Fri, 20/05/2016 - 11:48

Most "Chibok girls" still held by Boko Haram, says rescued teenager

More than 200 young women abducted two years ago by Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram are still being held in Nigeria's north-eastern Sambisa forest, the first teenager to be rescued said, according to human rights activists.

Read more
Last update: Wed, 18/05/2016 - 19:23

Two years after abduction: First "Chibok girl" found in Nigeria

The first of more than 200 young women abducted two years ago by Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram from north-eastern Nigeria's Chibok village has been found in Borno State.

Read more
Last update: Wed, 18/05/2016 - 18:52
Last update: Sun, 28/08/2016 - 14:40
Author: 

More from World

McLaren: Russia duped international sport, 1,000 athletes involved

Russia has duped international sport "on an unprecedented scale" with more than 1,000 athletes implicated in a...

Indonesia's quake toll revised to 100 as president pledges rebuilding

The death toll from an earthquake that devastated parts of Indonesia's Aceh province has been revised to 100 from...

US reaffirms military and financial commitment to Afghanistan

The United States of America renewed its financial and military commitment to Afghanistan ahead of the changeover to...

Russia: Syrian military only temporarily stopped attacks in Aleppo

Syria's military stopped attacks on rebel-held parts of the city of Aleppo only temporarily on Thursday to allow...

Norwegian Refugee Council employee arrested in South Sudan

The humanitarian organization Norwegian Refugee Council (NRS) said Friday that one of its employees has been...