MSF: 77 attacks on clinics since Kunduz hospital strike one year ago

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said Sunday there had been 77 attacks on medical facilities it supports in Syria and Yemen over last year.

The figure was released as the medical charity marked one-year since its trauma centre in the northern Afghan province of Kunduz was bombed by a US jet, killing 42 people. A US report later said that the clinic was mistaken for a Taliban position. 

Since the Kunduz strike on October 3, 2015, hundreds of thousands of people in north-eastern Afghanistan have been left without access to life-saving surgical care, MSF said.

Meinie Nicolai, president of MSF Belgium, said at a press conference in Kabul that the charity wants to reopen the Kunduz clinic, but there is still no timetable.

MSF repeated its call for the UN Security Council to implement a resolution it passed in May that called for the protection of hospitals in war-zones such as Afghanistan, Syria and Yemen.

Last update: Sun, 02/10/2016 - 18:48
Author: 

More from World

Reports: Dozens killed in church collapse in Nigeria

Dozens of people were killed in Uyo in southern Nigeria Saturday when a church collapsed/ according to reports.

Report: Trump to nominate Exxon chief for secretary of state

US president-elect Donald Trump will nominate Exxon Mobil chief executive Rex Tillerson to be his secretary of state...

20 injured in apparent car bomb near Istanbul football stadium

Two explosions were heard in Istanbul on Saturday night near a football stadium on the European side of the city,...

Turkish government imposes broadcast ban after explosions in Istanbul

The Turkish government has imposed a broadcast ban in the country on Saturday night, state-run news agency Anadolu...

Iran summons British ambassador over prime minister's remarks

The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the British ambassador concerning remarks made earlier this week by Prime...