Mexico resort kidnap victims were cartel members, authorities say

Six people abducted from a restaurant in the Mexican resort city of Puerto Vallarta were believed to be members of the Sinaloa drugs cartel, authorities said Tuesday.

Investigators had initially reported at least 10 people taken in the incident, in which armed men forcibly abducted patrons of the La Leche restaurant early Monday.

Jalisco state prosecutor Eduardo Almaguer corrected that number, saying investigators now believed six men had been abducted.

Initial investigations indicated the abduction victims were members of an organized crime group who were vacationing in the popular beach resort on Mexico's Pacific coast, he said.

On Tuesday, he told Radio Formula that investigators believed one of the abducted to be a son of imprisoned Sinaloa cartel boss Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.

Jalisco state Governor Aristoteles Sandoval said Monday that security had been tightened in the area and that local authorities were working to capture those responsible.

"What happened early this morning in Puerto Vallarta can not be permitted or tolerated," he wrote on Twitter. "We will not allow them to rob us of our peace."

Last update: Tue, 16/08/2016 - 23:33
Author: 

More from World

US astronaut John Glenn - "ultimate hometown hero" - dies at age 95

Former astronaut and US senator John Glenn, who shot to fame in 1962 as the first American to orbit the Earth, died...

Gambian president-elect says he will reverse decision to leave ICC

Gambia will reverse its decision to leave the International Criminal Court, president-elect Adama Barrow announced...

Tsunami threat declared over for Solomon Islands after massive quake

The tsunami threat from Friday's magnitude-7.8 earthquake near the Solomon Islands has passed, says the Pacific...

Saudi Arabia "playing proxy wars," Boris Johnson says in latest gaffe

British ally Saudi Arabia is "puppeteering and playing proxy wars" in the Middle East and, like Iran, is "twisting...

Russia: Syrian military suspends Aleppo attacks to allow evacuation

The Syrian military has suspended its attacks on militant-held eastern Aleppo to let civilians be evacuated to...