Malaysia: Simulator flight path not proof MH370 deliberately crashed

A senior Malaysian official on Thursday said the pilot of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 had plotted a flight path into the Indian Ocean in his flight simulator at home, but that the simulation does not prove he crashed the missing plane. 

Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, the pilot of the missing plane, plotted the flight path into the Indian Ocean but it was just one of the thousands of routes on his home simulator, Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said.

“There is still no evidence to confirm that Captain Zaharie deliberately flew the plane into the Indian Ocean,” he told reporters at his office in the federal government centre of Putrajaya.

“Just based on this, we cannot confirm he did it," he added.

Some experts had suggested the disappearance of the Beijing-bound flight MH370, with 239 people on board, on March 8, 2014 was a case of pilot murder-suicide.

The speculation was triggered by a US magazine report last month that an FBI analysis of data found in the flight simulator owned by the plane's captain showed he conducted a simulated flight to the Indian Ocean a few weeks before the plane vanished along a similar route.

Malaysian police chief Inspector General Khalid Abu Bakar earlier dismissed the pilot murder-suicide theory as “not true.”

The investigation on the disappearance is still ongoing, he said, adding that only the recovery of the missing plane’s black box could provide answers as to what happened to the aircraft.

Pieces of debris from MH370 have been discovered in South Africa, Mozambique, Mauritius and Reunion Island, but so far searchers have yet to find the main wreckage.

Last update: Thu, 04/08/2016 - 11:27
Author: 

More from World

Reports: Dozens killed in church collapse in Nigeria

Dozens of people were killed in Uyo in southern Nigeria Saturday when a church collapsed/ according to reports.

Report: Trump to nominate Exxon chief for secretary of state

US president-elect Donald Trump will nominate Exxon Mobil chief executive Rex Tillerson to be his secretary of state...

15 killed, 69 injured in Istanbul: ministry

Attacks in Istanbul near a football stadium Saturday killed 15 people and injured 69, a Turkish government official...

Turkish government imposes broadcast ban after explosions in Istanbul

The Turkish government has imposed a broadcast ban in the country on Saturday night, state-run news agency Anadolu...

Iran summons British ambassador over prime minister's remarks

The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the British ambassador concerning remarks made earlier this week by Prime...