NATO on Sunday confirmed an Islamic State report that the terrorist group had captured military gear - including weapons - left behind by a US soldier in Afghanistan, but made clear that there had been no abduction.
The group reported Saturday - using its mouthpiece, the Aamaq News Agency - that it had captured a portable rocket launcher, grenades, a radio and a US Deparment of Defence ID card belonging to a Ryan Jay Larson, along with additional gear. It released photos to back up the claim.
Commander Ron Flesvig, NATO's Resolute Support public affairs officer said Sunday that Larson had left the equipment behind after an operation with Afghan forces.
"Larson and his unit are accounted for and we are trying to find out when exactly this happened," Flesvig said.
Units from the US special operations forces have been fighting the increasing insurgency alongside Afghan security forces.
At least five US special forces soldiers were injured in Afghanistan while conducting operations against insurgents in July.