Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif denied on Friday that his country delivered weapons to Houthi rebels in Yemen, responding to accusations made by US Secretary of State John Kerry the day before.
"The US shouldn't make itself jointly responsible for the Saudis' murder of children and other inhuman war crimes in Yemen with such comments," Zarif said.
Kerry had warned Iran that Iranian weapon deliveries to Houthis are not only a threat to ally Saudi Arabia, but also to the US.
Yemen's conflict has intensified since March 2015, when mostly Shiite rebels, who took the capital Sana'a in 2014, advanced on the government-held southern city of Aden, prompting Saudi Arabia and allies to start their air campaign against the group.
Saudi Arabia fears that the rebels will give its regional rival, Shiite Iran, a strategic foothold in the Arabian Peninsula.
On Thursday, UN human rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said an investigation should be launched over the 3,799 civilian deaths caused by all parties in the Yemen conflict since March last year.
Tuesday, January 5, 2016 - 02:00
Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 21:28