International investigators looking into the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 have yet to explain what happened to the aircraft two years after it disappeared, according to a statement released on Tuesday
"The team is continuing to work towards finalizing its analysis, findings/conclusions and safety recommendations on eight relevant areas associated with the disappearance of the aircraft,” said the statement, a copy of which was obtained by dpa.
The eight areas of investigation include the deviation from the filed flight plan route, flight crew proficiency, airworthiness and maintenance of the aircraft, and the cargo consignment, the statement said.
The statement did not say when the final report on the incident would be released.
Some next of kin, who were expecting something more concrete from the investigators, expressed disappointment over the statement.
"I am kind of fed up with all their drama," said Lee Khim Fart, a Malaysian whose wife was one of the MH370 cabin crew. "It's all nonsense from the authorities" he told dpa.
“The statement has no value whatsoever,” Grace Nathan, whose mother was among the MH370 passengers, told dpa. “It's a waste of paper. There is nothing in there that we don't know. Why can't they just release the report?"
Earlier, the Malaysian parliament opened its session by observing a minute of silence to mark the second anniversary of the plane's disappearance.
The Beijing-bound aircraft went missing with 239 people aboard less than 40 minutes after it took off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on March 8, 2014.
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak and Australia’s Minsiter of Transport and Infranstructure Darren Chester both expressed optimism about finding the missing plane within the current search remit.
“The current search operation is expected to be completed later this year, and we remain hopeful that MH370 will be found in the 120,000-square-kilometre area under investigation,” Najib said in a statement.
Chester also said he is optimistic the plane will be found in time.
"Finding the aircraft would give answers to the world, in particular the families of missing loved ones, about what happened," he said in a statement.
Relatives of those on board have expressed concern that authorities might call off the search before the wreck and the remains of their loved ones are located.
The Australian-led international search team has so far failed to locate the missing plane, which was believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.
Debris from the aircraft found on France's Reunion Island last year, given the prevailing drift patterns, was further evidence that the plane ended in the Southern Indian Ocean, Najib said.
“But we know that neither the passage of time, nor this evidence, will comfort those whose grief cannot be assuaged,” he said.
Najib said that if the plane was not be located in the current search area, Malaysia, Australia and China would meet to determine the way forward.
Most of the passengers were Chinese nationals.
“We remain committed to doing everything within our means to solving what is an agonising mystery for the loved ones of those who were lost,” he said.
Friday, July 22, 2016 - 11:27
Friday, March 4, 2016 - 05:59
Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 06:07