An Islamic State militant from Indonesia has apparently denied allegations he was behind last week's deadly attack in Jakarta, in a voice recording posted online.
In the six-second recording posted on the website soundcloud.com, the man calling himself Bahrun Naim denied communicating with fellow militants back home to plan Thursday's attack.
"They said I communicated when in fact I'm rarely online," the recording posted Saturday said. "What communication?"
Police have alleged Bahrun, who left Indonesia for Syria last year, funded the attack, in which several bombs exploded at a police post and outside a Starbucks cafe in the heart of Jakarta.
National police spokesman Suharsono said the police were trying to verify the authenticity of the voice.
"We don't want to speculate at the moment," Suharsono told dpa Monday. "Give us time to work."
A terrorism analyst who has met Bahrun personally said he believed the recording was authentic.
"I'm 99 per cent confident that it's Bahrun Naim's voice," Harits Abu Ulya was quoted by news website Detik.com as saying.
Indonesian police have arrested 12 people in connection with the attack, which killed four attackers and four bystanders, including a Canadian.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack through its news agency al-Amaq, but that claim has not been verified.
Indonesia has in recent years faced a surge in extremist violence, often linked to jihadi groups, and it is estimated that hundreds of its citizens have joined the Islamic State in the Middle East.