Indian security forces were engaged Sunday in weeding out more militants from an Air Force station more than a day after it was attacked by the heavily armed gunmen officials said had infiltrated from Pakistan.

At least seven Indian security forces personnel had died since the militants attacked the airbase in the early hours of Saturday, federal Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi said at a press briefing.

Four of the militants were eliminated Saturday itself, after which the area had been cordoned off for the night, Mehrishi said.

During combing operations on Sunday, the gunmen started firing again and the operation was now in its closing stage, Mehrishi said at the evening briefing.

The home secretary said the operation would end only after every inch of the sprawling airbase was checked and sanitized.

It was not clear how many militants were still in the complex, but local media reported that there were two.

The group of five to seven militants, whom Indian intelligence agencies claim infiltrated from Pakistan, attacked the airbase at Pathankot, about 50 kilometres from the border with Pakistan, early Saturday.

The Indian government said it had intelligence of an imminent attack and had bolstered security at the airbase.

The militants were subsequently prevented from moving into the station's technical area, where the aircraft and weaponry were located.

"The intelligence inputs helped us to act fast," Mehrishi said. 

"The operation is still going on. We hope it will end soon.

"Due to active intelligence inputs and advance information we were able to ensure no damage was done to the assets at the air force station ... the apparent main aim of the terrorists stands defeated."

While local media reported that two more militants had been killed Sunday, the home secretary said, "We cannot confirm this till we have seen the bodies."

"Pakistan has to stop helping militants who attack India," Sukhbir Singh Badal, chief minister of Punjab state where Pathankot is located, said at a press briefing in state capital Chandigarh.

The Army, including National Security Guard (NSG) commandos, the Air Force and Punjab Police were all engaged in the operation.

A bomb thought to have been planted by the gunmen exploded Sunday during combing operations, killing an NSG officer of the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Five security personnel who were part of the corps which guards defence installations and a commando with the air force were also among those who died during the operation.

A total of seven security forces personnel had died and 20 were injured, one of them critically, Mehrishi said.

Assault rifles, mortars, grenade launchers and Global Positioning System (GPS) devices believed to be carried by the gunmen were recovered at the scene, NDTV reported.

The attack came days after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a surprise visit to Pakistan to meet his counterpart, Nawaz Sharif, to give a push to peace talks.

The nuclear-capable South Asian neighbours have fought three wars, two of them over the disputed Kashmir region. 

India also blames Pakistan for aiding and abetting Kashmiri separatist militants. Islamabad denies the charge. It says they are freedom fighters.

Pakistan condemned Saturday's terrorist attack.

The next round of talks between the foreign secretaries of the two countries is scheduled to be held in Islamabad mid-January.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.