Indian consulate attacked in Afghanistan, two civilians killed

Gunmen attacked the Indian consulate in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad Wednesday, leaving two civilians dead after a two-hour gunbattle, officials said.

All six attackers were killed by security forces, said Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal, police spokesperson of Nangarhar province.

“Two of the six suicide attackers blew themselves up near the Indian consulate. The other four were killed by police."

The attack left 19 people wounded, he said.

“The Indian consulate workers were not harmed,” said General Nasim Sangi, a military commander in the province.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

This is the third significant suicide attack in Afghanistan in the past week. Two attacks on Saturday left at least 20 dead and 50 others wounded in capital Kabul and eastern Kunar province.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the Kabul suicide attack.

Last update: Wed, 02/03/2016 - 12:02
Author: 

More from World

Car bombing in Baghdad kills at least four, injures 10

A car bomb exploded Saturday in the Iraqi capital Baghdad, killing at least four civilians, police and witnesses...

Egypt's top court revokes police power on protests

Egypt's top court has quashed power granted to police to ban street protests.

Indonesian police release seven accused of treason

Indonesian police on Saturday released seven people, including two former generals and a rock star, a day after they...

Indonesian police plane carrying 13 people crashes into sea

An Indonesian police plane carrying 13 people crashed into the sea on Saturday, police said. 

At least 17 dead in latest Chinese coal mine accident

An explosion has killed at least 17 workers at a coal mine in northern China and 10 miners remain trapped, state...