France's interior minister said Sunday that several attacks similar to the November 13 terrorist attack in Paris had been foiled in recently years.
In 2015 alone, 11 attacks like the one on November 13 were prevented, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said.
"One of them threatened to attack a concert in an event hall. Others threatened attacks against French people with massive fatalities on streets and cities, Cazeneuve said on French television.
The November 13 attacks in Paris and Saint Denis targeted a music club, bars, restaurants and a football stadium, killing 130 people. They were carried out by three groups of Islamist commandos.
Cazaneuve referred to "similar actors" in the foiled attacks.
The terrorist group Islamic State claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks, citing France's participation in the fight against the group in Iraq and Syria.
Cazeneuve provided no further information. The interview with broadcaster France 5 focussed on the question of the necessity to continue the state of emergency through the end of February.
The government wants to extend the controversial state of emergency, which invokes numerous special rules for security operations, an additional three months.
Monday, November 21, 2016 - 16:14