Four people rescued six days after Nairobi building collapse

Three people have been pulled alive from the rubble of a six-storey building that collapsed six days ago in the Kenyan capital Nairobi just hours after a pregnant woman was rescued alive, the country’s Red Cross said on Thursday.

The pregant woman was taken to hospital, the Red Cross tweeted. Her husband later confirmed that her rescue had taken three hours, that she had only sustained light injuries and that the baby had died in utero.

The Red Cross confirmed later in the day that three others - two women and a man - had been pulled alive from the rubble and that one of the women succumbed to her wounds shortly thereafter, taking the death toll in the collapse to 37.

Nearly 140 people have been rescued alive while about 80 remain missing.

Rescuers were also searching for bodies along a nearby river after witnesses said the collapse of the six-storey building had hurled people in that direction.

The government was reportedly planning to demolish dozens of buildings in Nairobi’s Huruma district, where the building collapsed, saying they could face the same fate.

A Nairobi court on Wednesday released on bail two men who were believed to be the owners of the building.

Last update: Thu, 05/05/2016 - 22:44
Author: 

More from World

MSF: 50 dead, 120 wounded after Nigerian jet fires on refugee camp

At least 50 people are dead and 120 wounded after a Nigerian army airstrike hit a refugee camp in the country's...

Report: US and EU make "considerable progress" on TTIP negotiations

The European Union and the United States have made "considerable progress" in negotiating the Transatlantic Trade...

Gambia declares 90-day state of emergency

Gambia declared a 90-day state of emergency on Tuesday, two days before President Yahya Jammeh was to step down...

Rowhani says Trump's criticism of Iran nuclear deal is 'just talk'

Iranian President Hassan Rowhani on Tuesday dismissed remarks by the US president-elect criticizing the nuclear deal...

Mediterranean death toll exceeds 200 since January 1, IOM says

At least 219 people have died trying to reach Europe by crossing the Mediterranean in the first weeks of 2017, the...