Egypt’s assistant top prosecutor survives assassination attempt

Egypt’s assistant general prosecutor survived an attempt on his life Thursday when a blast targeted his convoy in Cairo, the Interior Ministry said in a statement on its Facebook page.

A car rigged with explosives and parked by the roadside blew up, targeting Zakaria Abdel-Aziz’s convoy, an official source said.

Abdel-Aziz and his guards escaped the incident unharmed, while one civilian guard who was coincidentally passing by the scene was injured and rushed to a nearby hospital.

Bomb squads and security forces rushed to the area on the outskirts of Cairo to comb the scene for evidence, the source added.

In June 2015, Egyptian prosecution general Hesham Barakat was killed in a similar attack.

Egypt has witnessed a wave of terrorist attacks following the removal of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi in 2013. Most of them have been claimed by the Islamic State's local branch.

Last update: Fri, 30/09/2016 - 00:08
Author: 

More from World

Second group of rejected Afghan asylum seekers returns from Germany

A group of 26 Afghan asylum seekers whose requests to live in Germany were rejected arrived back in their home...

Czech sex offender suspected of spreading HIV deported from Thailand

Thai police have deported a Czech national believed to be infected with HIV and wanted by Interpol for sex-related...

TPP members vow to keep trade deal alive after US exit

Asia-Pacific countries hoping to create a regional trading zone as part of the largest-ever trade deal said Tuesday...

Australia will continue pursuing trade deal, minister says

Australia is not giving up on the historic Trans-Pacific Partnership, despite US president Donald Trump withdrawing...

Militants in Ukraine, Turkey and Yemen fuel rise in global attacks

The number of attacks worldwide by terrorists and militants soared by 26 per cent to more than 24,000 last year,...