A partial ceasefire in Syria's civil war appeared to be broadly holding Saturday, despite a number of reported breaches and a major offensive by Islamic State jihadists against Kurdish forces.

"Despite violations in some areas, I can say the ceasefire situation is good so far," Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which has been documenting violence since the war in Syria started in 2011.

Abdel-Rahman said that most of the "grave violence" taking place on Saturday was in areas where the ceasefire did not apply.

Islamic State and Syrian al-Qaeda affiliate the al-Nusra Front are not part of the ceasefire because they have been designated terrorist organizations by the United Nations. That means that attacks upon them would be allowed under the terms.

However, Russia said it halted its air campaign in Syria on Saturday, taking into account the start of the ceasefire and in order to avoid mistakes.

The Russian Defence Ministry said the US had sent a list of 6,111 fighters who had signed up to the "cessation of hostilities" deal that went into effect at 2200 GMT Friday, and of 74 areas that should not be bombed.

Moscow and Washington have a direct line of communication for making sure that the ceasefire is enforced, the ministry said in a statement.

Sergey Rudskoy of the Russian general staff said that, in order to avoid mistakes, the Russian air force would not be carrying out any flights in Syria on Saturday.

Activists in the Damascus suburb of Daraya said they witnessed their first day of calm in four years - despite government media claiming in recent days that al-Nusra was present in the area and it would therefore not be covered by the ceasefire.

Locals insist the extremist group has no presence in Daraya.

"Today people in Daraya are shocked. There were no raids at all, planes were seen hovering over the area, but there were no raids," an activist in the area, who asked to be named just as Fadi, told dpa.

Observers have raised concerns that the exclusion of al-Nusra from the truce could result in continuing fighting in the many areas where it is present alongside more moderate rebel groups.

Further north, a commander of the Jaish al-Mujahedin rebel group, Sami Obeid, told dpa that areas north and west of Aleppo had also witnessed relative calm.  

The Observatory reported ongoing fighting in the mountains of north-western Syria, while Islamic State jihadists - who are not covered by the truce - launched a major assault on Kurdish forces near the Turkish border.

At least 70 Islamic State militants and 20 Kurdish fighters and security officers died Saturday after the extremist group launched a widescale offensive against Kurdish forces, the watchdog said

The Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), which announced that they were backing the ceasefire earlier this week, said that they were clashing with the extremists in 15 positions near the town of Tel Abyad on the Turkish border.

According to the Observatory the YPG fighters managed to regain back some of the bases they lost in some of Tel Abyad.

The YPG said that the attackers came from the Islamic State stronghold of al-Raqqa to the south and across the Turkish border to the north.

Turkey, which has previously described the YPG as a terrorist organization and has shelled areas held by it, did not immediately comment on the claims.

Islamic State fighters also clashed with government forces further south, on the edges of Syria's central desert, the Observatory reported.

Exchanges of shelling were reported between government and rebel forces in eastern Damascus, while the Observatory said government forces dropped five barrel bombs near the rebel-held city of Jisr al-Shughur in the north-west.

Pro-government sources also said 10 mortar shells landed on the Abbaseen area in government-held central Damascus, near the frontline with rebels in the eastern suburbs.

The Syrian opposition reported breaches of the ceasefire in nine areas during the first hours of its operation, mostly in the form of shelling by government forces.

Syria's war, which started in 2011 after President Bashar al-Assad's forces launched a brutal crackdown against protests, has cost a quarter of a million lives and driven half the country's populations from their homes, according to UN estimates.

UN Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura on Friday told the UN Security Council that, if the ceasefire held and humanitarian access was ensured, he intended to reconvene intra-Syrian peace talks on March 7.

De Mistura put the talks on hold early this month amid opposition fury over a Russian-backed government offensive north of Aleppo.

Latest news

US strongly condemns neo-Nazi march in Zagreb

The US Embassy in Zagreb on Monday strongly condemned neo-Nazi and pro-Ustasha views expressed during a demonstration by several dozen people, organised by the non-parliamentary far-right Autochthonous Croatian Party of Rights (A-HSP) in Zagreb on Sunday.

Guterres: Rights of minorities, migrants are under attack

The human rights of minorities and migrants are being attacked by populists and by governments that shirk their responsibilities to protect refugees, UN chief Antonio Guterres said Monday at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.

Carnival float crashes in Rio, injures 20

A large float crashed into revellers at Rio de Janeiro's Carnival celebrations, injuring 20 people, eight of them so seriously that they had to be taken to hospital, the news portal O Globo reported on Monday.

Al-Qaeda's deputy leader killed in Syria, monitor group says

Al-Qaeda's second-in-command, who goes by the name of Abu al-Khayr al-Masri, has been killed in a drone strike in northwestern Syria, a monitoring group said Monday.

Taiwan rights activists urge 'truth and justive' over 1947 massacre

Over 300 members of human rights and civil organizations urged the Taiwan government on Monday to finally deliver "truth and justice" for the victims of the February 28 massacre of 1947 and the following four decades of martial rule. 

Video purportedly shows beheading of German hostage in Philippines

A video shot by Islamist militants purportedly shows the beheading of a German hostage held for three months in the southern Philippines.

Seven killed in attack on prison bus in Sri Lanka

Seven people were killed Monday when unidentified gunmen disguised as police officers opened fire on a convoy transporting prisoners to a court south of Sri Lanka's capital, officials said.

South Korea's acting president refuses to extend Park investigation

Acting South Korean President Hwang Kyo Ahn refused to extend a special prosecutor's investigation into a scandal involving impeached President Park Geun Hye on Monday.

PricewaterhouseCoopers 'investigating' Oscar envelope mixup

Representatives at PricewaterhouseCoopers, the accounting firm responsible for carrying the winning ballots to the Academy Awards, "deeply regret" the confusion that ensued when Warren Beatty read out "La La Land" instead of "Moonlight" for Best Picture.

Croatia's development bank giving favourable loans for tourism

The Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development (HBOR) is continuing the implementation of programmes offering favourable loans to the tourism sector in 2017, with the continued reduction of interest rate by one percentage point and lower fees for loan applications, HBOR has stated.

New Zealand PM: We need migrants as 'locals can't pass drug tests'

New Zealand Prime Minister Bill English said Monday his country has to rely on immigrant workers because many locals can't pass workplace drug tests.

Father of dead Navy SEAL says he didn't want to meet with Trump

The father of a Navy SEAL killed in late January during a raid in Yemen chose not to meet US President Donald Trump when the soldier's casket arrived back in the United States, the Miami Herald reported Sunday.