Death toll in Tel Aviv construction site accident rises to three

The death toll from a construction site collapse in northern Tel Aviv has risen to three, an emergency services spokesman said Thursday.

Zaki Heller said rescue teams were still searching the accident site for missing people but could not confirm how many were being sought.

Hundreds of members of a special Israeli army unit had been brought in to help find the missing construction workers, local media said.

The cause of the accident remains unclear, and the area surrounding the accident site remained cordoned off from onlookers on Tuesday.

An eyewitness told Israeli radio on Monday that it felt "like an earthquake" as the site crumbled. 

The collapse was cited by some lawmakers as an example of Israel's problems with construction safety. A Knesset committee is planning to meet Thursday to discuss the issue.

According to a study released in May by Israel's Ministry of Economy and the National Insurance Institute, the country has one of the highest rates of construction site accidents among Western countries, with 480 people killed between 2000 and 2015.

Last update: Tue, 06/09/2016 - 16:02
Author: 

Related

More from World

US astronaut John Glenn - "ultimate hometown hero" - dies at age 95

Former astronaut and US senator John Glenn, who shot to fame in 1962 as the first American to orbit the Earth, died...

Gambian president-elect says he will reverse decision to leave ICC

Gambia will reverse its decision to leave the International Criminal Court, president-elect Adama Barrow announced...

Tsunami threat declared over for Solomon Islands after massive quake

The tsunami threat from Friday's magnitude-7.8 earthquake near the Solomon Islands has passed, says the Pacific...

Saudi Arabia "playing proxy wars," Boris Johnson says in latest gaffe

British ally Saudi Arabia is "puppeteering and playing proxy wars" in the Middle East and, like Iran, is "twisting...

Russia: Syrian military suspends Aleppo attacks to allow evacuation

The Syrian military has suspended its attacks on militant-held eastern Aleppo to let civilians be evacuated to...