tunisian soldiers, border army.jpg
Photograph: EPA/MOHAMED MESSARA

The final estimate of the death toll from clashes between Tunisian security forces and insurgents in the southern city of Begardene a day ago is 55, Tunisian Premier Habib Essid said in a press conference Tuesday.

A total of 36 insurgents and 12 members of the security forces were killed during the clashes in the city, which is located near the border with Libya. Seven civilians were also killed during the attack, while three civilians and 14 security personnel suffered injuries.

On Tuesday, another five "terrorists" were killed in a separate security raid in Begardene, the Tunisian interior ministry said.

The Monday clashes broke out when unidentified gunmen attempted to storm military and security barracks and a police station Monday at dawn in Begardene. Clashes eventually turned into street battles and lasted for hours before the Interior Ministry announced it had full control of the city.

“About 50 terrorists were inside a mosque when they took off to launch the attack,” Essid told reporters, adding that seven suspects were arrested, which allowed the authorities to “reach important findings” through interrogation.

Essid said that the authorities seized a truck carrying advanced weapons and discovered three arms warehouses during the operation, adding that the attackers included Tunisian nationals. 

“The Begardene operation boosted the morale of the army and security forces, proving that Tunisia has no place for establishing a ‘state’,” Essid said, a reference to the Islamic State terrorist group. “We won a battle; but the war against terrorism persists.”

A few hours following the clashes, the Tunisian Interior Ministry imposed an overnight curfew in Begardene until 5 am (0400 GMT).

The Tunisian authorities further shut down the border with Libya to prevent any infiltration of terrorists.

Meanwhile, Interior Ministry media spokesman Yasser Mosbah said Tuesday that the security operation in Begardene persists as security forces have been combing the city and securing its entrances, state-run Agence Tunis Afrique Presse reported.

Mosbah added that the sound of immense explosions could be heard in the city after security forces destroyed three hand grenades, seized among other weapons the suspects were possessing, the report added.  

Tunisia has experienced a series of deadly attacks during the past year.

Last month, Tunisia completed a sand barrier and trench running half the length of its border with Libya.

Libya has been destabilized since the 2011 overthrow of long-ruling dictator Moamer Gaddafi.

Latest news

Merkel calls for fewer EU regulations as nationalist sentiments grow

As voters in the Netherlands, France and Germany show increasing support for nationalist, euro-sceptic political movements ahead of this year's elections, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has called for limits on EU regulations.

French prosecutors transfer Fillon case to investigative judge

The French judiciary has opened a formal investigation in connection with presidential candidate Francois Fillon to examine whether the employment of his wife as a parliamentary employee was a sham, the country's financial prosecutors' office said Friday.

White House bars major news outlets from press briefing

Major news organizations, which were Friday blocked by the White House from attending an informal press briefing, condemned the move just hours after President Donald Trump described parts of the media as "the enemy of the people."

Report: German intelligence spied on BBC, other foreign journalists

Germany's intelligence agency monitored foreign journalists at the BBC, the New York Times and other news organizations from 1999 onwards across several countries, according to a Friday report from Der Spiegel magazine.

Classroom for Islamic religious education opened in Split

A classroom for Islamic religious education, whose equipment was financially assisted by city and county authorities, was opened in the coastal city of Split on Friday.

Ministry say no licences for export of military goods to Saudi Arabia issued in 2016

The Economy, Enterprise and Crafts Ministry on Friday issued a statement regarding media reports about export licences for military goods, stressing that in 2016 it did not issue any licences for the export of military goods to Saudi Arabia.

Croatia for preserving Bosnia's stability

Croatia on Friday supported the stability of Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), calling on its authorities to adopt decisions in institutions, after a request by BiH Presidency Bosniak member Bakir Izetbegovic to review a ruling which acquitted Serbia of genocide.

Mexico is not a migrant "waiting room" for US, interior minister says

Mexico will not accept undocumented immigrants from other countries whom the United States plans to deport, Mexico's interior minister said Friday.

Right-wing populist Wilders declines first Dutch election debate

Candidates from nine Dutch parties answered questions from journalists Friday at the first national radio debate of the election campaign, but the leading candidate

Bosnian Croat reps insist on channel airing programmes in Croatian

Being one of the constituent peoples, the Croats in Bosnia and Herzegovina are entitled to a broadcaster that will air programmes in their native language, HNS BiH official Ivan Vukoja said at a news conference in Mostar on Friday.

Same-sex couples in Slovenia can marry

A Slovenian law allowing same-sex couples to marry went into force on Friday and the first civil registrar ceremony, between two women, is to take place in Maribor on Saturday, the town's Vecer daily said.

Moody's changes Agrokor's outlook to negative

The Moody's rating agency on Friday changed its outlook for the Agrokor food retailer from stable to negative, affirming its rating of B3.