Fire crews fighting the massive wildfire in the western Canadian province of Alberta finally got a Mother's Day present from Mother Nature as cooler temperatures slowed down the advance of the conflagration.

Instead of doubling in size as predicted, the fire, which has already destroyed more than 1,600 structures and forced almost 90,000 people to flee their homes, grew by only 5,000 hectares to about 161,000 hectares (1,610 square kilometres), Alberta Premier Rachel Notley told reporters Sunday.

"This is quite a bit smaller than we had feared," Notley said. "Winds continue to blow the fire largely, east away from the community [of Fort McMurray]."

The fire is now 30 to 40 kilometres west of the border with Saskatchewan, Notley said.

"Firefighters did an amazing job containing the fire to the north of Fort McMurray, where it approached but so far has done no damage to the Suncor [oil sands] facility," Notley said.

She lauded firefighters who held the line in the community of Anzac, south of Fort McMurray.

"We lost some buildings there, but the team has been able to save the vast majority of the community so far," Notley said.

The priority for first responders in Fort McMurray itself remains looking for hot spots and dealing with flare ups, Notley said.

Crews from the provincial power and gas utilities are working on restoring the electrical grid and the natural gas network in the city, Notley said.

Authorities have installed equipment to monitor air quality as the heavy smoke hanging over vast areas is becoming a big health concern in Alberta and neighbouring Saskatchewan, where prevailing winds have carried ash east from the massive fire.

Notley lauded the work of the Canadian Nation railway, which was able to promptly remove rail cars filled with highly flammable and hazardous materials from the path of the fire.

She called it "quick and critical work that saved us from any repetition of the tragedy at Lac Megantic," a town in the eastern province of Quebec where 47 people were killed in July 2013 by a runaway train of oil tanker cars.

Notley said authorities completed the evacuation of about 25,000 evacuees who had sought shelter in oil sands mining camps north of Fort McMurray when raging flames overran the oil town, cutting the only escape route to southern Alberta.

Authorities moved about 300 hundred people from the indigenous community of Fort McKay, which had hosted hundreds of evacuees as well.

Authorities evacuated about 1,500 employees of Syncrude oil company, Notley said.

Leithan Slade, a spokesperson for Syncrude, told dpa that Syncrude has suspended operations at its Aurora and Mildred Lake sites, north of Fort McMurray near Fort McKay.

Groups of employees have been evacuated from the Suncor, Husky, Shell and CNRL oil sands facilities, Notley said. But many of these facilities are still operating.

Notley said she will meet Tuesday with representatives of Alberta's oil industry to discuss the crisis.

She expressed her condolences to the families of two people, including a 15-year-old girl, daughter of a local firefighter, who died in a fiery traffic accident during the hurried evacuation Tuesday from Fort McMurray.

The premier fought back tears as she expressed sadness over evacuees unable to celebrate Mother's Day at home.

"I'm hoping in all of this crisis to spend a few minutes with my own children," Notley said. "That not all of us can do that is definitely an awful tragedy. Today, on Mother's Day, all of us in Alberta are thinking of you who have suffered these losses."

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.